Intensity

The tears poured off her eyelids; slid down her cheeks; fell to the floor. Slowly she sank to the ground, trembling slightly. Her breath came in deep sobs, wracking her chest. She barely had enough air. She did not hear the soft footfalls coming ever closer. She did not see him as he sat down next to her. She did, however, feel as his arm wrapped around her shoulders. Turning slightly, the girl buried her face in his shoulder. Her friend held her tighter, resting his head in her soft chestnut curls.

The two of them sat that way for what felt like hours; the girl sobbing loudly on the boy’s shoulder, the boy holding her quietly, steadfastly. Finally, the girl released her last tear. She looked up at the boy, eyes red from crying, cheeks flushed. He turned to her, a small crooked smile on his lips. To the girl’s surprise, tears were slipping down his face as well. “Why are you crying?” she asked softly, voice cracking. The boy considered the question for a second.

“I am crying because you are crying,” he replied truthfully as yet another tear trickled down his handsome face. His smile was still there, unwavering.

The girl stared at him with wide eyes. He stared back at her. A chill like an electric current flowed through both of them. The air around them tingled with static. Slowly, as if pulled by some invisible force, the two teenagers moved closer. Their faces were within a hair’s breath of each other’s. “Why me?” she whispered. “Why did you choose me?” Her eyes darted back and forth, looking for an answer written on his face. “You are the only one who’s real. The only one out of all those girls who knows what it means to truly love someone. Even though he broke your heart, you just keep going. I like that. I think… I think I may even love that.”

His eyes gleamed with a passion long suppressed. “I think I may love you.” His sweet breath lingered on her lips. The girl’s heart began to beat frantically, as if trying to keep up with her rapidly changing emotions. “I think I may love you too,” she admitted.

Without meaning to, the girl shut her eyes. The two leaned even closer, closing the gap between them. His soft lips pressed against hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and his arms coiled around her waist. The kiss deepened.

Gently, they pulled apart. Both were smiling softly. “Thank you,” the girl said under her breath, so quiet that the boy sitting right next to her wasn’t sure he had heard her at first.

“For what?” She stared deeply into his eyes. He held her gaze, reciprocating the intensity. “For giving me a reason to live again. For saving me from falling.”

“Anytime. Thank you, too. Thanks for letting me in. Thanks for not pushing me away.”

At the same time, the two teenagers said, “I love you,” sealing their fate.

The two leaned in closer, their foreheads, then lips, pressing against the other’s.

MissEmilyDickinsonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 8 at 4:14 pm
Eeek, I've read this before, and I knew I loved it and still do. I love it. I'm sorry, I forgot to comment until now. This amazingly, beautifully, and wonderfully writen. The story is very sweet. All I can say, is that it's wonderful and sweet. So wonderful. All in all, I think this deserves to be published. I'm glad this has 374 or 375 comments, because you deserve it. It's amazing. Thank you for sharing this!

yourlove-mywings said...
May 21, 2013 at 11:29 am
this was really good. i liked it a lot. i could follow along easily. but the others are right. you need to watch you grammar and whose talking, but i loved the story. it was really really good. congrats!!! keep writing. :D

jettabugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job! Please watch your grammar and puncuation! For example, in the first sentence, the semi-colons should be commas. Also, "hair's breath" is actually "hair's breaDth", which means the width of a hair. Great job and story though!!!

PAIGEExD said...
Omg that was so amazing and beautiful :) But may I recommend at some times I was confused at who ws speaking,  so once in a while you may want to add who's speaking :) But great writig. Kepp going!

vballgirl99 said...
WOW! Wonderful writing!! Keep it up, please!

shirli n said...
amazing ! bueatifull !!!   u have a gift!  pleace use it i would like to see more of your work ! :) 

Brynna995 said...
May 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

This is an amazing piece of writing, the love that every teen wants and dreams of but sadly doesn't really happen that way. maybe to 1 out of the 100 people it might, but i suggest writing another one that seems more realistic, like what teen love is like and not a fantasy for waaay more than half of the people in the world. 

Other wise Great word choice, awesome creativity and keep writing!!! 

Alan B. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
What are stories for? Sure, stories like this and Hollywood endings probably never would happen...but that's not why we read them. The author is bringing you into the story of those rare 1 out of 100, and telling it to us in way so we too can expirience these "fantasitc" feelings. I think this is written very well. 

yourlove-mywings replied...
May 21, 2013 at 11:32 am
yahh.. i agree with Alan B. It was her story, for one. But that doesn't matter. she was just showing us what her heart yearns for. who doesn't want true love like this? that perfect moment when you know he/she is the one? the static in the air? i think it was really well crafted. so, yahh.... if she wants to write a realisitic story, more power to her.

SilverSun said...
L-O-V-E it!!!! So pretty and so just..... Inspiring!! Thanks for making my day brighter!!

MassieKurh said...
it is great. i love your writing style. try lengthening it out a little and adding some more details.

ashley112027 said...
Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:54 am
More please!!! <3

Zuccini75 said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:16 am
That was so cute! Keep up the good writing!

Perfect_Darkness1398 said...
Awww so sweet! I loved it!

mylifestarringme said...
This is so beautiful, I just ate it up. Can you give us more:)

RayBaytheDinosaur said...
lol did they just meet and already fall in love xD if only real life happened that way lol. wonderfully written though =)

Fia-fia said...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 6:35 am
I love this... really it is so beautiful. I also love how its so clear and vibrant in the moment, but outside that, the past and the future is so vague. It gives us a little room to think. Its just a wonderful piece! Thank you :)

Soleil said...
At first I thought this was going to be a chiche (like we haven't all heard and used the phrase "crawling down cheeks, falling to the floor") but as I read on, my heart began to melt little by little. I can feel the connection between the two of your characters, and I love the fact that you don't give either of them names. And that you don't know why she is crying in the begining. I can see this in my mind--even feel it.

Soleil said...
At first I thought this was going to be a chiche (like we haven't all heard and used the phrase "crawling down cheeks, falling to the floor") but as I read on, my heart began to melt little by little. I can feel the connection between the two of your characters, and I love the fact that you don't give either of them names. And that you don't know why she is crying in the begining. I can see this in my mind--even feel it. Great job!

RosesSuck said...
yikes. honestly thats what i thought. the first paragraph was so fantastic it drew me in! but then...well i guess the whole hopeless romantic thing reallyy annoys me and strangley left me feeling like i did after i read twilight...when did the love happen?