A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

By Anonymous

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 546 comments.


on Jul. 25 2010 at 8:57 pm
MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts
52 articles 0 photos 280 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I realize that life is risks. It's acknowledging the past but looking forward. It's taking chances that we will make mistakes but believeing we all deserve to be forgiven."
-The Dead Tossed Waves.

This was real. That's what i can think of to describe it. We often make those shady and hurtful remarks, often out of jelously and what not. Then when you realize with frightening sharpness that you never even knew anything about their personal life, what they really consisted of...who they were. It hurts, and you're sorry you ever said anything. Amazing story, and i loved the ending:)

I'm kind of new to the site and most of my work hasn't been accepted, but i'd like for you to view what has been and tell me what you think:)

again, great job!!


on Jul. 25 2010 at 7:11 pm
sidneynicole BRONZE, McKinney, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When life knock you down to your knees, just know you are in a perfect postition to pray."

this was real good

on Jul. 25 2010 at 3:15 pm
Sammmmmmmm GOLD, Jefferson, Maryland
17 articles 10 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Strength is hard to get, and easy to use
Don't leave the ones you love for the ones you like ; they, too, will leave you for the ones they love

thumbs up all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

LaceeJade GOLD said...
on Jul. 25 2010 at 2:57 pm
LaceeJade GOLD, Bucyrus, Ohio
17 articles 4 photos 136 comments

Favorite Quote:
♥ I've made mistakes in my life. i've let people take advantage of me, and i accepted way less than i deserve. But, i've learned from my bad choices, and even though there are some things i can never get back and people who will never be sorry. i'll know better next time and i wont settle for anything less than i deserve. ♥

I Really Liked This You Should Check Out The Story I Wrote & Tell Me If U Like It Or Not Lol. I Need Some Feed Back So I Know Its Good Or Not. and im alright if you dont like something about it or if i messed up on something im always looking for something to learn from:) Thanks

TeenInk.com/fiction/realistic_fiction/article/232548/Remember-Me-Not/


on Jul. 25 2010 at 9:36 am
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey
14 articles 1 photo 278 comments

Favorite Quote:
Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

beautiful.  the ending really made me sad...  :'(

on Jul. 11 2010 at 5:11 pm
NeverFallTooHard PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
24 articles 5 photos 98 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.~ Rumi
Realisim, in painting, is what one wants to see, not what they really see. ~ Janet Fish

Amazing. Great job writting. Wish there was a second chapter, it would make a great book.

dbzfan4life said...
on Jul. 11 2010 at 2:16 pm
beautiful writtin plz keep it up ^_^

courteycat said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 10:49 am
courteycat, Lompoc, California
0 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
interesting...

I really loved it. At first I didn't like the girl but at the end I felt sorry for her. Keep Writing:)

on Jul. 3 2010 at 9:37 pm
ImmaCheerGurl BRONZE, Desert Hot Springs, California
3 articles 2 photos 8 comments
wow that was really intense but in a good way i loved it.......wow the girl reminds me of another girl at my school whos just like that haha

littleBit said...
on Jul. 3 2010 at 3:37 pm
I love how the main character finally "accepts her" In a way.

on Jul. 3 2010 at 3:01 pm
ithinkijustflew BRONZE, Dreamland, Other
4 articles 1 photo 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Is. 43:2; When you pass through the waters, I will be with you.

Oh my goodness... this is great. Kind of an abrupt ending though. But it's great!

on Jul. 3 2010 at 2:50 pm
ilovepolkadots, Joplin, Missouri
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments

This story has really good emotion. Your style of writing is really good!

Oh, and by the way, one of my friends wrote a story on here and she wanted some comments on it, so could you check it out. Type "Blah. Blah. Blah." in the search box and it should come up.


on Jul. 3 2010 at 2:07 pm
Friggi PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
40 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
Giving up is not weakness it means you are strong and brave enough to let it all go

TO ALL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE IN THE WORLD

DONT JUDGE BY THE COVER BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE ARE NEVER SEEN FOR THE DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH ALL PEOPLE SEE IS THAT PERSON TRYING TO ACT TOUGH


on Jul. 3 2010 at 10:34 am
Kaileigh918 BRONZE, Orange Park, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There's no shortcuts to anywhere worth going"
-me

wow... amazing... congrats on getting it put in the mag! then again, it would be a mistake if it wasnt in the mag. :)

Shelbs13 GOLD said...
on Jul. 3 2010 at 12:53 am
Shelbs13 GOLD, White Plains, New York
10 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have too many to even name so I'm not even going to go there... lol

This is beautiful

on Jun. 30 2010 at 6:30 am
invisiblelittleoldme SILVER, .., Other
7 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
love is confusing..

it's great,really!...'don't judge a book by it's cover', eh?...

on Jun. 27 2010 at 12:40 pm
midnitewriter, New York, New York
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Ahhhhh- maazinngggg

on Jun. 26 2010 at 1:39 am
Minderella PLATINUM, Parker, Colorado
21 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
If I tell you I love you can I keep you forever? --Aww. From the movie Casper
Also:
If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus 1 day so I never have to live a day without you. --Aww again. Of course, that's Whinnie the Pooh for ya!

I really like this piece.  I love the emotion conveys--it reached the depths of my heart and I'm speechless with admiration.  So I'll just smile :)

Emily-G SILVER said...
on Jun. 24 2010 at 2:48 pm
Emily-G SILVER, River Falls, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Lives can do amazing things when the odds are against them."















-The village Elder in 'Sight Seeing'

Aww, that one made me get all emotional! Great job and keep it up! You really grasped the whole 'middle school atmosphere' thing!

on Jun. 21 2010 at 8:34 pm
DannyKid33 PLATINUM, Pleasant Hill, California
34 articles 2 photos 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't ever let the media tell you what to look like. You're beautiful the way you are. Stay beautiful, keep it ugly." - Gerard Way.

stuff lk this happens all the time...im glad someone finally jst came out and said. this was a really amazing peice you should be proud :)