A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

on Apr. 6 2010 at 11:45 am
meganleigh122 GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain."

this is really good!! i gotta say, i have been guilty of jugding people without knowing the whole story; but i'm trying to watch that now haha. but keep writing, you're really good =)

on Apr. 6 2010 at 9:24 am
BookReader BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other
I think this is really good. I like your style of writting and the way you keep the readers interest throughout

neimyne BRONZE said...
on Apr. 3 2010 at 7:36 pm
neimyne BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I love your use of dialog and the short way of your words. They say so much.

on Apr. 2 2010 at 11:35 pm
Emily showed us why 'She' wanted to kill the 'whore' through the way she explained how others felt about her also. Plus when you think about it wouldn't your brain automatically think the worst of a person that does things that are so morally wrong? And at such a young age? Anyway as I posted further up - this is definitely a winner. Congrats!!

on Apr. 2 2010 at 11:23 pm

Wow!

How many people in the world have been in this situation? From the comments on this page, I would say quite a few. For some reason, this poem reminded me of the movie; Pay It Forward. Have you seen that movie? If you haven't you should take some time to see it. A person with depth in their character like you is a person who could write something, write one small sentence that could change a life . . .

Dakota_Lynn said...
on Apr. 1 2010 at 9:19 am
Dakota_Lynn, Oxford, Georgia

But that's not the point here.

Very expository and touching. Makes you think. I hate to say I'm guilty of being a total jerk to someone. It' s true that we can be extremely hateful to someone without ever knowing what the truth is. Thank you for writing this.

on Mar. 30 2010 at 11:49 pm
deardiary BRONZE, Saskatoon, Other

It is a truth universally acknowedged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -Pride and Prejudice

wow, very insightful.

SageSin GOLD said...
on Mar. 30 2010 at 9:46 am
SageSin GOLD, Oaklawn, Illinois

"Accept everything about yourself. I mean everything. You are you, and that is the beginning and the end; No apologies, no regrets."

This story is beautiful im really glad someone has the heart to say that some people do the things the for a reason Thanks for putting this out there! ^_^ I respect you.

on Mar. 29 2010 at 8:54 pm
starxoxo23 PLATINUM, New Hampshire, New Hampshire

"The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
- Alan Alda

This is so touching and kinda upsetting. Keep up the good work.

Rhoswen BRONZE said...
on Mar. 19 2010 at 1:00 am
Rhoswen BRONZE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

"Is it dead?"

It's a very thoughtful peak into a girl's life.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 3:41 pm
Anique_ThePoet GOLD, Indianapolis, Indiana

"A writer should write with his eyes and painter paint with his ears." ~Gertrude Stein~

i know that feeling. you dont like someone and u see or hear how their life is. and sometimes it een scares you and u cant hold back tears. i feel this story, and its a good one.

Katrselyn said...
on Mar. 15 2010 at 5:42 pm
Katrselyn, Kankakee, Illinois
I love this soo much it dragged me in and i coould just picture the story!!

Keep writing and check out my work

on Mar. 15 2010 at 4:02 pm
celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

Wow, I can think of lots of girls I know like that, only I know for certain they don't have a bad home life. For the first half I was really ticked off with the main character and her friends; how can any of them be so heartless? Endless gossip, violence, and just unempathetic hate, but that's the world isn't it. That's teenagers. The end was sweet though.

on Mar. 15 2010 at 3:13 pm
OliviaMiaKing BRONZE, Calgary, Other

Life is like an onion. Sometimes we may peel off a layer, and sometimes we may weep.

This story was amazing. It had me captured the whole time. It was amazing!

on Mar. 15 2010 at 2:06 pm
PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

This is beautiful!!! I can't believe you pulled me in soo much.... there have been only a few ppl to do that to me... Kee[ writing.... I love it!!

on Mar. 15 2010 at 1:28 am
AllianceOfTheSpokenWord, La Mirada, California

'Someone once said "In What mood do you like to listen to music?" and I answered "Sad, Happy, or Angry my love for music never changes"

Your work has a strange of way of pulling me in. It's like a quick lesson learned that make's you turn one way only to turn you violently in the other to show you the truth. Bravo.

on Mar. 14 2010 at 8:45 pm
AlyssaFama SILVER, Kunkletown, Pennsylvania

Most people want to be the sun that brightens your day. I'd rather be the moon that shines down on you in your darkest hour.

this was absolutely stunning!! I would recommend it to anyone. keep up the astounding work! check some of my work out too

on Mar. 5 2010 at 4:28 pm
AmbientAuthor GOLD, Mclean, Virginia
This is so beautiful. :)

RSpaulding said...
on Feb. 28 2010 at 10:11 pm
Loved this! It was very well written, from beginning to end.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 9:53 am
star_struck_93, Smithville, Mississippi

"Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.”

I really love this one. When first read it, it really got me. Someone my seem perfect on the outside but in the inside they may be hurting