A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

on Nov. 12 2010 at 7:30 am
xprezzionstar BRONZE, Jeffersonville, Kentucky

All it takes it 20 seconds of insane courage and I promise you, something amazing will happen

this is better than great! there is no word for this! nice work keep writing!            ~xprezzionstar

on Nov. 12 2010 at 7:11 am
skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware

I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)

Wow... It was amazing. I know everyone else who's commented is saying the same thing, and I wish I knew a better word for it because amazing does not even come close. I had a friend in middle school who turned wrong, wrong as in just like the girl in this story. One day I went over to her house and police cars, a fire truck, and ambulences were there, in the middle of broad daylight. Her father was being handcuffed and she was on a strecher. I can relate to this story a lot, and I think you should definitly keep writing. And if you could, I could really use someone of your talents to take a look at my work and maybe give me some criticism on it. Thanks and keep writing!

on Nov. 5 2010 at 7:04 pm
TeardropsInApril, Alaska, California
Wow, this is a really great piece of fiction! Keep up the good work!

KatieM. GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2010 at 2:47 am
KatieM. GOLD, Coronado, California

"He will die on his feet before he lives on his knees"

this was amazing

knd071 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 9:06 am
knd071 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

I enjoyed reading this. It's short, but there are many great points packed into it, such as the details to the characters actions towards the end. There is never a dull moment, and the dialogue, along with the characters, seem real. It would be awesome if you continued, because the story ended just after the shooting star streaks across the sky. What happened to the girl? Is the girl mad that she was caught?

My only suggestion is to add more details in the beginning dialogue. It is well written, though the beginning seems to be the only part that is lacking. 

on Oct. 27 2010 at 8:34 pm
elizabitty BRONZE, Not Aplicable, California

The glass is never half empty unless it started fuller.

Oh my god this is so great! Its so touching and real.

on Oct. 25 2010 at 7:44 pm
emmilove24 BRONZE, Erlanger, Kentucky

"True strength is holding yourself together, when everyone expects you to fall apart."

This is absolutely amazing writing. straight from the heart. as it should be. keep writing. your names gonna be in a book someday! :)

dream4ever said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 10:14 pm
wow, this is intense. you are a very skilled writer.

on Oct. 21 2010 at 9:55 pm
KellyJeanH PLATINUM, North Canton, Ohio

\"You think I\'m bipolar, sadistic, sarcastic, and psychotic. Unfortunately for you, everyone else thinks I\'m perfect.\"

This is amazing, hun. Keep writing! Your really good at it!! :D

on Oct. 21 2010 at 8:40 pm
DaydreamBeliever GOLD, Lockport, Other

If you live to be one hundred, I want to live to be one hundred minus one day, so that I'll never have to live without you. -Winnie the Pooh

very good:) i loved the detail and how relateable it was. im sure everyone knows a girl like that and dont even know it.

on Oct. 21 2010 at 7:07 pm
springdance BRONZE, Hebron, New Hampshire

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Albert Einstein

This is great! It makes me think of what the girls at my school who are like her are really like when they're not in school.

on Oct. 21 2010 at 5:30 pm
fashionlover16 SILVER, New Gloucester, Maine

I honestly don't know what my favorite personal quote is. I can tell u what i like, if u want that. I really like the twilight series. whenever my mom suggests that we should go shopping, i light up. I love shopping. well thats about it, byez!!!!! <3

that was such a good story. When you first started discribing her, i thought of a girl at my school. She is just like that, goes out with any1 she wants, kisses them, thinks shes better then every1. But then at the end, when her boyfriend slaped her, i thought of my boyfriend. ik he would NEVER do that to me, but yea, great story, i feal sorry for her. KEEP WRITING!!!!!!!

PippinP GOLD said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 4:57 pm
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.

FIVE STARS!!! Great job!! It's so sad to think how often this happens, and it's great that you could put it out there so well!

M.K.Slate said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 12:22 pm
M.K.Slate, Granbury, Texas
THIS IS VERY GOOD

ftheworld said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 11:27 am
God Bless The Dead

on Oct. 21 2010 at 10:04 am
McNinabean BRONZE, Austin, Texas

When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I'm already better than them. - Marilyn Monroe

This is great! I love the feeling you but into it :)

JDlaxerx0x06 said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 9:18 am
JDlaxerx0x06, Manhasset, New York

“Dream as if you\'ll live forever, live as if you\'ll die today.”

AMAZING. great work. very stong.

on Oct. 11 2010 at 4:44 pm
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho

Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

This is beautiful. So much truth. Amazing.

on Oct. 6 2010 at 6:39 pm
communicativedistractions PLATINUM, Fall City, Washington

"I miss you like an alcoholic misses toothpaste."

At first i was like wow what a brat! haha :) it's real life stuff though. Great work :)

on Oct. 4 2010 at 9:56 am
bluegirl440 DIAMOND, Park City, Utah

Everybody lies. -House

fantastic! one of my favorites