A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

on Jun. 17 2010 at 2:03 pm
DancerBabe SILVER, Tuscarawas, Ohio

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt
"Bad writers plagerize, good writers steal!"

That was amazing! It the truth and you desribed in a wonderful way!

kaloridley said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 9:15 pm
kaloridley, Bernex, Other
This is such a good story!!!! I love how you pulled both parts together to get your message across to the readers.

on Jun. 11 2010 at 6:53 pm
LeilaniLives PLATINUM, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"They say 'Life's two steps forward and one step back' - But what if I tripped and fell down the whole flight of stairs?"

At first I was apauled and shocked at the fierce, rude behavior... then I realized the focus of the story and I was beautified at how you put this all together. Job well done.

D.Whitnee said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 6:38 pm
This an amazzing story, i really like this one, you got a gift in this. Your an awesome writer.

on Jun. 11 2010 at 6:20 pm
PrudenceFang BRONZE, Herriman, Utah

"Life isn't worth living unless you believe in something."

This is such a true story. Keep up the good work. You have the makings of a best selling author.

Thrush BRONZE said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 3:55 pm
Thrush BRONZE, Tegaad, Other

"Live life to it's fullest extent, it's the only life you've got" "Enjoy yourself, be yourself, love yourself"

So sadly true! Awww. I hate the way people judge like that. They know nothing, they're just as bad as the girl is..... you know. This was really good.

on Jun. 11 2010 at 9:30 am
still-a-novice BRONZE, Balderdash, Illinois

Attention people! This is life here! This is not a rehersal. I repeat, Life is not a Rehersal!

Aww, this is awesome. I can't believe how good you are at this. keep going!

on Jun. 11 2010 at 9:00 am
MissAmbitious BRONZE, Okinawa, Other
GREAT lesson :)

on Jun. 11 2010 at 8:29 am
EmilyFrances BRONZE, Collingwood, Alabama

you shine a light in a dark corner and guess what happens? it's not dark anymore.

This was spectacularly well written. I go to a small school where all the grades are together, and I've seen first hand how awful thirteen year old girls can be. Now, older, it all seems so petty. But it really is sad, the way all these girls are living. You really captured the feelings of being threatened, and lashing out accordingly. I really really enjoyed this piece.

Cloud9<3 said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 1:55 am
Aww I luved this<333333

on May. 31 2010 at 9:40 pm
SchuylerSorensen SILVER, Mullica Hill, New Jersey

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things u get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in ur head to no more than living size when they are brought out.

Absolutly amazing

chaelo said...
on May. 20 2010 at 10:14 pm
chaelo, Omaha, Nebraska

There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the portion

This was really thoughtful, trying to gain perspective on someone else's life, even if you hate them.
It shows that you never really know a person, and you can't judge them unless you know their story.

on May. 20 2010 at 8:12 pm
dancingirl BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington

“To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”

What a great piece. That's so sad and makes me wonder what all the girls, like the one in this story, at my school how their home life is.

on May. 20 2010 at 5:20 pm
charlottegirl BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I believe in pink. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot...I believe that the happiest girls are the prettiest girls." -Audrey Hephburn

Fantastically written. This story, whether based on fact or fiction, relates to so many people. Bravo!

kksme SILVER said...
on May. 20 2010 at 4:21 pm
kksme SILVER, Greenvale, New York
This was amazing, there are so many girls in my grade like this. 

on May. 20 2010 at 3:11 pm
PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

this is beautiful!!! I love the ending.... truly extravegant!!!

on May. 20 2010 at 2:40 pm
RaquelMyraaa_ BRONZE, West Monroe, Louisiana

imperfections are the most perfect thing of all

This makes me think about all the stuff i say to people.

on May. 20 2010 at 2:35 pm
this made me pee my pants ^_^

on May. 11 2010 at 5:27 pm
LieutenantStrange BRONZE, Marshfield, Massachusetts
Sorry, this is by someone else! My mistake! You were in her favorite page and I thought this was her! My mistake! But I still love it! Keep writing!

on May. 11 2010 at 5:25 pm
This is awesome, Lindsey, you writer you! Love it!