A Wish For Her This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Fiction Contest.

kksme This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm:
This was amazing, there are so many girls in my grade like this. 

PoetLaureate07 said...
May 20, 2010 at 3:11 pm:
this is beautiful!!! I love the ending.... truly extravegant!!!

DeSaaa said...
May 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm:
This makes me think about all the stuff i say to people.

yur mom niggas said...
May 20, 2010 at 2:35 pm:
this made me pee my pants ^_^

LieutenantStrange said...
May 11, 2010 at 5:25 pm:
This is awesome, Lindsey, you writer you! Love it!

LieutenantStrange replied...
May 11, 2010 at 5:27 pm :
Sorry, this is by someone else! My mistake! You were in her favorite page and I thought this was her! My mistake! But I still love it! Keep writing!

charzard said...
May 4, 2010 at 7:47 am:
excellent piece. i know someone who is, "her," but there are several of them at that school. i don't know how they do it. great piece, though. keep writing! (:

Claire_Milan said...

You're going to finish this right? {Because it is REALLY super fantastic} Just the type of stories I enjoy reading for fun in my down time. Very good job here! Keep it up!

[{Mis.guided]}

Kkrazy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

That was an amazing story! Can i read it to my club? we're focusing on stuff like being better people and stuff. 

Any ways, that was awesome and i loved it!!! 

<3 <3 <3!

soccercrazy said...
this is amazing. you just displayed the life of so much of my school, and schools everywhere. and you tell it so beautifully! you're an awesome writer, this is a wonderful story.

angelWings said...
I loved this so much, thank you for sharing

reg93 said...
This is VERY well written! Amazing.

possiblylindsey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 6:45 pm :
ohmg, reg93! i just looked at your "about me" page....YOU KNOW CHASE COY?!?!?! AHHH! you are wonderfulll! =D

Apr. 28, 2010 at 6:46 pm :
know his music, i mean, not know HIM personally =]

reg93 replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm :
haha well we DO go way back lol

maybeshannon replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 10:17 pm :
ahhhh!!!!  thats so cool!!!! =]]]] he. is. amazing!!!

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very well written.  This is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing your talent!

Courtney A. said...
Wow...that was...beautiful. Oh my gosh I'm speechless. I love it!

holymackrel101 said...
I mean holy cow! That was amazing and I absoluetly love the emotion at the end. A very real story

lalagirl said...
Wow ! So,so,so,so,so good :)