Chalkboard Scribbles This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Scribbles on the chalkboard. That’s all that was really there, some shapes probably, numbers and some math symbols. He knew them all – not like it was a foreign language. It was just kind of pointless. It wasn’t even a chalkboard; it was a whiteboard. But chalkboards were more poetic. It flowed better, anyway. He let that thought swirl around his mind for a bit. Sort of like the mysterious liquid they gave you instead of wine on Thanksgiving when you were a kid.

Well not really, especially since he knew what the liquid was (sparkling cider) and thoughts don’t swirl. At least they didn’t for him. They just hung there, more like old rusty thumbtacks that hold up papers for a few days then pop out of the corkboard. Yeah, sort of like that. He let his thoughts drift. Considering they were rusty thumbtacks that were bound to pop anyway, he sort of let them hang for a bit then sink away somewhere. Oblivion perhaps.

Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder, he was half pulled out of his thoughts, staring at the whiteboard; he realized he hadn’t blinked in far too long. His eyes were watering.

“Zack, I would appreciate it if you’d pay attention,” the owner of the hand hissed. Oh yeah. Math. That’s right. Some variation of some useless formula was what the symbols and scribbles on the whiteboard were. He nodded, slightly, as if he didn’t really mean it. Because he didn’t mean it at all.

His mind was elsewhere, preoccupied with words, not numbers. Although he now seemed enraptured by the strange markings on the board, he didn’t actually care. He mentally laughed at his own thoughts, if he laughed in the physical sense, people would stare at him, probably snicker behind his back at some untold joke. Again, not that he cared, it was just kind of annoying, you know? No, you probably don’t.

He let his mind make the popping of rusty thumbtacks its priority. Did they make a sound? He’d have to figure it out, do some sort of scientific report on it or something. Win a Nobel Prize for it. What a clever little boy. No more snickering behind his back. He laughed, this time physically. Luckily the sound was drowned out by the fourth bell, the one that meant lunch. He snagged his iPod from his messenger bag and trotted, yeah, like a horse, off to the lunch room.

fall_from_grace said...
It makes me so sad when people don't appreciate something as innovative as this. It is unusually, but not bad. It's lovely, and erratic, and random. I hope you keep your writing style.

WaitWhat said...
That was brilliant. The writing was as erratic as your thoughts. Bravo! =)

MyLuckyStars said...
Haha, that was awesome!! I loved the way you wandered, as if your mind was wandering when you wrote this, just like the character's. It was awesome.

Dandelion said...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 11:12 am
I loved this! You managed to get every wandering thought on paper, and that takes a lot of talent.

sleeplessdreamer said...
Dec. 30, 2009 at 9:59 am
The idea of the story and all the metaphors were unique and cool, but your writing style was kind of choppy. I felt myself at the end going, "What the heck was that?" But other than that, you have a real talent just work on how you present it on paper.

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:16 am
hah, love this!

Inkspired said...
Love this! It's such an original idea, and there seems to be no meaning at all, but there is, in a way. Love your writing style. L-o-v-e. The metaphors, the adjectives.... anyways, great job!

evie_girl_novelette445 said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:31 am
It was interesting, but I felt like I didn't understand what was going on as I read it. Maybe if there weren't as many metaphors or adjectives? But other than that, neat concept.

AnneOnnimous said...
i didn't like this that much..it was nice but the intro was kinda boring

AshlanB said...
I love this!

eMs23 said...
haha that is totally me!! overall i really liked this poem. its unique... never read anything like it! :)

Schubster said...
interesting, new, crisp, exciting, and refreshing :) it was stunning in its own way. great work!
check out my work??

smufius said...
this is realy good i liek teh way his mind keeps wondering

kat4christ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 28, 2009 at 3:16 am
I really enjoyed reading this. The style creative and refreshing. Great job!

cross-i'd-leopard said...
Apr. 21, 2009 at 1:22 am
that was really good. definitly attention grabbing. :)Did u write it in math class? :)(jk)

Chrissy L. said...
Wow I love this! Sometimes I've thought of writing something like this, put you really pulled it off great!

sunshine said...
This book is so interesting that i read it about three times.

m@d3l!n3jul3$ku$k^ said...
Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:37 am
I LOVED IT! I could relate to it so much and i love how it ws more conversational than all the other stories on this website. Great Job.

R.A.R said...
I don't like Math a lot and I really can't relate to it too, and I think way too much for my math teacher's liking.

keira-and-me said...
I can relate to this kid. Not in the math sense,(I enjoy math) but in the process of his the thoughts. At first it seems so strange, but then I think, "That's how I think, how my mind works!"