Chalkboard Scribbles This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Scribbles on the chalkboard. That’s all that was really there, some shapes probably, numbers and some math symbols. He knew them all – not like it was a foreign language. It was just kind of pointless. It wasn’t even a chalkboard; it was a whiteboard. But chalkboards were more poetic. It flowed better, anyway. He let that thought swirl around his mind for a bit. Sort of like the mysterious liquid they gave you instead of wine on Thanksgiving when you were a kid.

Well not really, especially since he knew what the liquid was (sparkling cider) and thoughts don’t swirl. At least they didn’t for him. They just hung there, more like old rusty thumbtacks that hold up papers for a few days then pop out of the corkboard. Yeah, sort of like that. He let his thoughts drift. Considering they were rusty thumbtacks that were bound to pop anyway, he sort of let them hang for a bit then sink away somewhere. Oblivion perhaps.

Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder, he was half pulled out of his thoughts, staring at the whiteboard; he realized he hadn’t blinked in far too long. His eyes were watering.

“Zack, I would appreciate it if you’d pay attention,” the owner of the hand hissed. Oh yeah. Math. That’s right. Some variation of some useless formula was what the symbols and scribbles on the whiteboard were. He nodded, slightly, as if he didn’t really mean it. Because he didn’t mean it at all.

His mind was elsewhere, preoccupied with words, not numbers. Although he now seemed enraptured by the strange markings on the board, he didn’t actually care. He mentally laughed at his own thoughts, if he laughed in the physical sense, people would stare at him, probably snicker behind his back at some untold joke. Again, not that he cared, it was just kind of annoying, you know? No, you probably don’t.

He let his mind make the popping of rusty thumbtacks its priority. Did they make a sound? He’d have to figure it out, do some sort of scientific report on it or something. Win a Nobel Prize for it. What a clever little boy. No more snickering behind his back. He laughed, this time physically. Luckily the sound was drowned out by the fourth bell, the one that meant lunch. He snagged his iPod from his messenger bag and trotted, yeah, like a horse, off to the lunch room.

Nerys D. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love the way he describes his thoughts. It gives a great image!

Mgymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 30, 2011 at 1:00 am:
This is very relatable and very well written!! Also, if you get the chance could you check out some of my poetry such as A Mirror Image and The sinner confession (and comment and rate them????) it would be greatly appreciated! THANKS! And keep writing because your amazing at it! :)

teeninkwriter said...
awesome job! reminds me of myself in math class

zhlenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
thats so good!!!

Iluvvampirediaries said...
Hello again!!! If you have time can you look at my work?

Iluvvampirediaries said...
What's up girl? Nice job... I do that all the time in algebra. Waiting desprately for the bell to ring...

Saponaceous said...
Nice--I like the thoughts on how the contents of the mind can work with so many metaphors and similes. The mind is difficult, yet easy, to typify.

writerinfinity said...
      Good job.

KrystalT said...
Reminds me of myself

DreamingOutLoud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 10:45 am:
The definition of daydreaming. =) Good work.

grasslova said...
I would have to agree with that. It's stream of consciousness--unchecked thoughts, a conscious, or semi-conscious dream. I saw colors when I read it.

marshmellow.jacket said...
I really enjoyed this piece because I can relate to it. The kids conflicting struggles between math and what people think, how he doesn't care but takes the time to think about it. beautiful.

shoelessjoe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 5:01 pm :
yeah i think so too, i mean in math i feel the same way my thoughts dont swirl they just hang there and i let my self get taken by my own thinking

marshmellow.jacket replied...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 5:17 pm :
Exactly, like in math, you just see a bunch of made-up numbers and figures swirling in the air that we pray we will all understand and get an award from it.

GuitarGirl92851 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great use of sarcasm there. I love Zack's tone of voice. It really reminds of a lot of high schoolers.

WhiteShadows said...
OMG! I loved that. It was well-written but as if Zack himself wrote and not someone pretending to be Zack. I wish I could write like that!!

Mbookrooted said...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:10 am:
I agree with the others- it flows perfectly and has the perfect amount of humor and sense of reality and a sense of...daydreaming. i can really relate to Zack

chrisgirl13 said...

This is good, keep it up! : )

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 5:28 am:
haha awesome(:

Macx14 said...
This has all of the small words we add into our speech without thinking about when we're talking and making it up as we go. So natural, like I can imagine a voice reading it to me. Great job!