Chalkboard Scribbles This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Scribbles on the chalkboard. That’s all that was really there, some shapes probably, numbers and some math symbols. He knew them all – not like it was a foreign language. It was just kind of pointless. It wasn’t even a chalkboard; it was a whiteboard. But chalkboards were more poetic. It flowed better, anyway. He let that thought swirl around his mind for a bit. Sort of like the mysterious liquid they gave you instead of wine on Thanksgiving when you were a kid.

Well not really, especially since he knew what the liquid was (sparkling cider) and thoughts don’t swirl. At least they didn’t for him. They just hung there, more like old rusty thumbtacks that hold up papers for a few days then pop out of the corkboard. Yeah, sort of like that. He let his thoughts drift. Considering they were rusty thumbtacks that were bound to pop anyway, he sort of let them hang for a bit then sink away somewhere. Oblivion perhaps.

Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder, he was half pulled out of his thoughts, staring at the whiteboard; he realized he hadn’t blinked in far too long. His eyes were watering.

“Zack, I would appreciate it if you’d pay attention,” the owner of the hand hissed. Oh yeah. Math. That’s right. Some variation of some useless formula was what the symbols and scribbles on the whiteboard were. He nodded, slightly, as if he didn’t really mean it. Because he didn’t mean it at all.

His mind was elsewhere, preoccupied with words, not numbers. Although he now seemed enraptured by the strange markings on the board, he didn’t actually care. He mentally laughed at his own thoughts, if he laughed in the physical sense, people would stare at him, probably snicker behind his back at some untold joke. Again, not that he cared, it was just kind of annoying, you know? No, you probably don’t.

He let his mind make the popping of rusty thumbtacks its priority. Did they make a sound? He’d have to figure it out, do some sort of scientific report on it or something. Win a Nobel Prize for it. What a clever little boy. No more snickering behind his back. He laughed, this time physically. Luckily the sound was drowned out by the fourth bell, the one that meant lunch. He snagged his iPod from his messenger bag and trotted, yeah, like a horse, off to the lunch room.

Cataclysms-Mayday said...
Very good!!! I can totally relate to this! Daydreaming during math is a favorite past time!

horsie_luver replied...
May 11, 2010 at 6:45 pm :
I second that!! 

Kimbla said...
haha funny. good

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"...trotted, yeah, like a horse, off to the lunch room." I love that! hehe :]

paulyp11 said...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:48 am:
This is really really good and I can definitely identify with this guy.

neimyne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:44 am:
What an intriguing way you portray this character. He is altogether amusing and ironic xD I enjoyed reading it.

ZAVERY said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 10:21 am:
omg! Such a great piece of work! Keep it up and never stop! P.S, Check out some of my work please please please!

aphrodite333 said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:02 am:
awww I love this! definitely reminds me of myself :)

Anita This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:49 pm:
really great... awesome, really, very awesome!

whatIreallythink said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:03 am:
exactly :) lovr it-- i totally been there

IzzyStarr said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 9:28 pm:
I love the metaphor/simile/imagery with the thought thumb-tacks. Wicked cool :)

logo24 said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 8:35 pm:
this sounds EXACTLY like me, right down to the messenger bag (except I'm a girl.) Anyway, I loved this article, It is SO real and relatable. I loved it

live~en~livre said...
I really liked this! I've read about 20 stories on this website so far, to get inspiration for my first piece. This one was one of the best! I really liked the metaphors. :)

elarebadaxe said...
I really like this piece. Reminds me of how I am in math... thinking about writing and music instead of what is infront of me.

dragonbiscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked this. It reminds me of the novel You Don't Know Me by David Klass.

GreenGirl13 replied...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm :
I love that book!

Lover*that*Hates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 7:19 am:
This is very good. It makes you daydream along with the character. I loved the way you went from one strange subject to another with no warning. Some people don't like that, but I do. This passage makes you think about the odd little thoughts that the charcater is think. I love it! Great Job!

KatAnne replied...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 10:26 am :
This was very good. It felt like you were right in his day dream. Very well done.

eyelash~wishes said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 2:35 am:
Haha! I can relate to this! I am such a daydreamer! I loved the metaphors! Maybe it wasn't exactly clear at some points but in my opinion that adds rather then takes from this. :)

SmileLikeUMeanIt said...
I love your voice! This is absolutely great. Seeing it within the pages of a novel one day wouldn't surprise. In fact, I'd be completely excited and finish the book in one sit-down. Great job! :D