Chalkboard Scribbles This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Scribbles on the chalkboard. That’s all that was really there, some shapes probably, numbers and some math symbols. He knew them all – not like it was a foreign language. It was just kind of pointless. It wasn’t even a chalkboard; it was a whiteboard. But chalkboards were more poetic. It flowed better, anyway. He let that thought swirl around his mind for a bit. Sort of like the mysterious liquid they gave you instead of wine on Thanksgiving when you were a kid.

Well not really, especially since he knew what the liquid was (sparkling cider) and thoughts don’t swirl. At least they didn’t for him. They just hung there, more like old rusty thumbtacks that hold up papers for a few days then pop out of the corkboard. Yeah, sort of like that. He let his thoughts drift. Considering they were rusty thumbtacks that were bound to pop anyway, he sort of let them hang for a bit then sink away somewhere. Oblivion perhaps.

Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder, he was half pulled out of his thoughts, staring at the whiteboard; he realized he hadn’t blinked in far too long. His eyes were watering.

“Zack, I would appreciate it if you’d pay attention,” the owner of the hand hissed. Oh yeah. Math. That’s right. Some variation of some useless formula was what the symbols and scribbles on the whiteboard were. He nodded, slightly, as if he didn’t really mean it. Because he didn’t mean it at all.

His mind was elsewhere, preoccupied with words, not numbers. Although he now seemed enraptured by the strange markings on the board, he didn’t actually care. He mentally laughed at his own thoughts, if he laughed in the physical sense, people would stare at him, probably snicker behind his back at some untold joke. Again, not that he cared, it was just kind of annoying, you know? No, you probably don’t.

He let his mind make the popping of rusty thumbtacks its priority. Did they make a sound? He’d have to figure it out, do some sort of scientific report on it or something. Win a Nobel Prize for it. What a clever little boy. No more snickering behind his back. He laughed, this time physically. Luckily the sound was drowned out by the fourth bell, the one that meant lunch. He snagged his iPod from his messenger bag and trotted, yeah, like a horse, off to the lunch room.

Macx14 said...
This has all of the small words we add into our speech without thinking about when we're talking and making it up as we go. So natural, like I can imagine a voice reading it to me. Great job!

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 10:42 am :
I agree, natural. It sounds very poetic without using words that nobody knows or uses. It sounds like something a poet would say in an every-day conversation.

Macx14 replied...
Sept. 6, 2010 at 5:15 pm :
Right! And, by the way, you have very good taste in classic Broadway shows. I love Phantom of the Opera, haha. Sorry, I couldn't help it:P

Sept. 11, 2010 at 5:04 pm :
Lol. I'm obsessed with it. And for the record, Christinne soooo should have chosen the phantom over Raoul.

Macx14 replied...
Sept. 11, 2010 at 5:43 pm :
I KNOW RIGHT!!!!lol

JessieBecker said...

i really like this. It made me laugh for some reason, the sarcasm i suppose, well done, (:

ps. if you get the chance, read some of my work pleaassee(:

thankyou<3

Lanier42This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
really like this piece. zack has a great voice.

olican16 said...
i dont know if i already commented on this or not but i figure one more time wont hurt this is REALLY good you can really write!! check out my stuff?

niesh13 said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm:
Thiss Iss Awesomeeee. :) , Lol. Itss Realy Good. Almost Every1 Who Hates Math or Juss doesnt Pay Attention Can Relate 2 Thiss. > Likee Mee  < Lol,

JessieBecker replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:01 pm :
lol, i agree(:

Jane_P This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm:
Summary of my math class. ^^

olican16 said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm:
i love this!!! it is soo easly relatably.. adn im kinda young to but i believe that young writes have the same talent as older writers but they arent as developed yet.. but i think yours are!! great job.. when my stuff comes out of pending will you read it?? again GREAT job this is one of the best things ive read on this website!! keep up the good work!!

socrchik33 said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm:
I loved this peice so much :) i can relate to it so easily...

Kenaia N. said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 11:41 am:
Your writing style is beautiful, like a narration of the mind. Exactly the kind of writing that takes a bit of courage to write, because not everyone gets it. Amazing!

rachaelrox This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 7:15 am:
I love this! Relatable for me, haha. He reminds me of Holden Caufield, a little. That's my favorite book. :)

IamtheStargirl said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 7:52 pm:
I love this! The flow is so cool, the way persone would actually think, all broken and strung together.

thepreechyteenager said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 9:08 am:
I remember reading this in the magazine.  The first piece read in TeenInk.  I loved it.

horsie_luver said...
May 11, 2010 at 6:49 pm:
I absolutely love that piece! It immediately went to my favorites list! I loved how you phrased the part with the teacher: "...the owner of the hand hissed"

evrycloudyday7 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm:
this was so simple but so so good! i really liked it.

^unshed.tears said...
May 11, 2010 at 11:49 am:
this was good :) it reminds me of how i think, you kno, always thinking of something besides what you should be thinking of :) anyway keep it up, and could you please check out som of my stuff?? thank you! :)

tv fan said...
May 11, 2010 at 10:44 am:
This is my second favorite story on teen ink. MY favorite though is the Dinner by jman13