Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall

Author's note:

The girls I interviewed asked for their names to be changed. 

Author's note:

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14

Chapter Fourteen

“It never really leaves you,” Jane said. “It’s always in the back of your mind. I can’t say that in 20 years from now I won’t struggle with my body image again. But there are other things going on that I need to be focusing on. There was personality and spiritual things I need to change about myself, and I was directing that energy toward my body image. There’s something in your life that you need to change, but you’re fixing it in the wrong way.”
“Austria was definitely the biggest turn around for me. Spiritually, I came to know my faith better. I came to understand who I was as a person, what my role was. I started cutting out huge sections of sin in my life because those things weren’t making me happy. I finally understood who I was in God’s eyes, what he wanted of me, and realizing that as long as I’m exercising body, mind, and spirit, that’s all He’s asking me to do.”

The symbol for eating disorder recovery is very simple, yet very elegant. Some people see it as a heart, others the outline of a woman’s body. It symbolizes curves and motion, a healthy body. The smaller line is the eating disorder, and the larger, more dominant line, is strength and recovery.
Some girls who recover from an eating disorder tattoo this symbol to their wrist, a constant reminder.

It is a bright fall day. The trees are on fire with color. The green grass runs right up to the pale blue of the sky. But for me, it all blurs together, like a finger was dipped in water and smudged across God’s painting.
The beauty of a fall day is an earthly sight, an image that is only a reflection of an even greater beauty. It is warped by a world of sin, but it nevertheless conveys truth and goodness. I have to put on my glasses to see that, to see every leaf distinct from the next, the blades of glass quivering in the sharp breeze, and the small birds darting in and out of the trees.
When I look into the mirror, I see imperfections, a body that could be improved, or a face I believe can only be enhanced by a paper-bag mask. But I have a deeper beauty, a beauty no amount of makeup can enhance and no amount of doubt can destroy. It is the beauty of the heart and soul. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we are held in the hands of a most loving God.
So I wear my glasses now. I think I have survived the acne apocalypse. But most importantly, I do not listen to the mirror anymore because the mirror hasn’t a clue what he’s talking about.

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14