The Magnifying Glass

By , Chappaqua, NY
Author's note: Roosevelt is my high school. All the characters in this play are my friends and peers. Granted,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Roosevelt is my high school. All the characters in this play are my friends and peers. Granted, all names are changed, but the sentiment and the content is real. High schools - or at least mine - have a problem. I live my life praying for Harvard, bowing down to Dartmouth, and yearning for Yale, but I know that in the end I will just be disappointed -- a 3.0 in eighth grade math will do that to you.
The Magnifying Glass is, if nothing else, a cry for help. I hope the world is ready to listen.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9

Scene Eight: Home

SCENE 8: HOME

(A bed is moved to center stage, with MEGAN WALKER lying on top of it. She is wearing headphones, which are plugged into her laptop computer. The screen shows a half-written essay on a word-processing program. A door is moved to a position eight feet to the left of the bed).

PTA MEMBER 1 (enters from stage left, opens door, and takes a few steps into “room): Megan. (MEGAN WALKER hums, oblivious to her mother’s presence). Megan! (She pauses; after no response, she walks up to the bed and takes the headphones out of MEGAN WALKER’s ears).

MEGAN WALKER (surprised): Hey!

PTA MEMBER 1: Don’t wear your headphones when I’m trying to speak with you.

MEGAN WALKER: How would I have known that you were trying to speak to me? I had my headphones in.

PTA MEMBER 1: Did you finish your homework?

MEGAN WALKER: Yes, mother. As I always do.

PTA MEMBER 1: Did you study for your math test?

PTA MEMBER 1: Well, maybe you should study some more. I talked to Ava Perlmutter’s mother tonight. Ava got a 99 on that test you took last week. She’s applying to Hopkins, too. Did you know she’s the student council president? And this summer she’s doing research at a national lab in engineering. And she’s a merit scholar. Quite a spread.

MEGAN WALKER (clenching teeth): Yes, mother. As you told me yesterday.

PTA MEMBER 1: Fine. Finish whatever it is you’re doing. Don’t forget to study your vocabulary flashcards. A 2300 just won’t suffice, not with your ambitions (she exits through door and walks off stage left.

(NARRATOR enters from stage left and turns off the light switch. He exits stage left).
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9