New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Magnifying Glass

By , Chappaqua, NY
Author's note: Roosevelt is my high school. All the characters in this play are my friends and peers. Granted,...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Roosevelt is my high school. All the characters in this play are my friends and peers. Granted, all names are changed, but the sentiment and the content is real. High schools - or at least mine - have a problem. I live my life praying for Harvard, bowing down to Dartmouth, and yearning for Yale, but I know that in the end I will just be disappointed -- a 3.0 in eighth grade math will do that to you.
The Magnifying Glass is, if nothing else, a cry for help. I hope the world is ready to listen.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »

Scene Four: Magnifying Glass

SCENE 4: MAGNIFYING GLASS

NARRATOR: Scene Four – Magnifying Glass.

ORA STANLEY: My passion for learning is decreasing.

ELLIE FEINMAN: People feel as if they need to get good grades purely to do better than a classmate, and this is not a good environment for a class.

ORA STANLEY: Classes have become a game, every man for himself. Make fun of the kid that doesn’t do his homework, gossip about that one kid that got a 70 percent on the easiest test of the year. I’m always that kid! It sucks! It really sucks. Kids have turned against each other in more of a secret way, as opposed to working with each other to actually help the other person. Kids don't raise their hands because they're afraid they will get judged. Me, I like to sit in the back, because my teachers don’t call on me back there.

ELLIE FEINMAN: They feel like they’re constantly under a little magnifying glass, with everyone judging and analyzing their every move.

ORA STANLEY: With kids that learn differently doing the same work and working towards the same goal, results will obviously be different, but going into class the next day with all those kids looking at the genius that got a 100 percent on a test, they now feel the need to beat that. We can’t all go to that prestigious three-billion year-old university. I know I won’t be going there. But for some reason, we all feel like we have to, like we’ve failed if we don’t. Sometimes I wonder – does everyone but the valedictorian leave high school feeling like all their hard work has been for nothing?

ELLIE FEINMAN: People see school, all parts of school, as a race. A race to get the best everything – test scores, essay topics, project ideas, course choices, teachers, et cetera et cetera et cetera et cetera (she groans and sits in an empty chair).