New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Mr.Brightside

Author's note: It's my childhood
Author's note: It's my childhood  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Corner Suns

Art was never one of my strong strengths, as I said before, my handwriting alone was terrible. But the ability to create images using lines, colors, and neat flicks of a pencil was way beyond my capacity. Art was mandatory at my school, so everyone in my grade had to take it, every Friday, for 45 minutes.
It was the longest 45 minutes I’ve ever experienced, and each week it seemed to get longer.
For one (sorry in advance, teachers and fat people.) Our teacher was HUGE. One day, Mark and I counted how long it would take to walk from the street to the entrance to the school, and it took about one minute. For her, it took ten minutes. Everyone would share their drawings every Friday, and I’d always just go last, because the class would laugh at my drawing. One Friday, the teacher yelled at me, and I just sat there wondering what I did. She made me stand in front of the class, and hold my drawing up. It was a pyramid, since the assignment was to draw a building in the shape of an actual shape.
“Class!” She announced “What’s wrong here?”
The class was silent, and then Marge spoke out, from the silence, “It’s ugly?”
The whole class, even me, burst out laughing.
“NO NO NO NO!” She yelled, her face getting tomato red. “Look in the corner.”
17 pairs of eyes made their way to the corner of my paper, and meet a small sun in my page.
“What’s wrong with that?” Said Susan. “It’s a sun.”
“No, it’s a corner sun!” She yells. “We are in FOURTH GRADE. We have moved on past this cheap crap!” I almost couldn’t help myself from laughing.
Almost.
“Matt, why are you LAUGHING? This is SERIOUS!” She bellowed at the top of her huge lungs, her many chins wobbling around.
“So I drew a corner sun, big deal!” I almost fell to the floor laughing by now. My artistic abilities were so lacking, a corner sun was probably all I could handle. She gave me a look of hatred and told me to sit back down. Marge was up next for the sketch book drawing, but she said she didn’t want to share.
“C’mon Marge, as long as you didn’t take the easy way out like Matt did, you’ll be fine.”
Marge was almost trembling when she held up her drawing, and I lost control of myself and burst out laughing.
She had a drawn a corner sun.
Sketch book drawings were canceled for the rest of the year, and that was that.