Fallout 4 | Teen Ink

Fallout 4

May 26, 2016
By Chris_Modrak SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Chris_Modrak SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Next-gen gaming has truly revolutionized the way we experience the game we buy. I say this because ever since Atari released the 1975 “Home Edition: Pong “, video gaming has been used as a very popular pastime and in some cases a carrier. Within the last year though Bethesda Softworks took advantage of the next gen era and produced a new game within the “Fallout” series. This game is “Fallout 4”, but before there was” Fallout 4”, there was “Fallout 3” and “Fallout New Vegas” . Seeing that these are two phenomenal games “Fallout 4” had some big shoes to fill and I believe they fit quite snug actually. Although the game may be good being a triple A game produced by Bethesda is basically positively going to have so many bugs and glitches, great scenery and graphics with clunky faces,fantastic gameplay and maybe some decent combat this time around.

 

Bethesda Softworks is known to have many bugs and glitches in their games and Fallout 4 is not an exception. Some glitches have proved to be helpful, some annoying and some game breaking.  The first glitch that even I used all the time until patch 1.3 was the “Dogmeat Duplication Glitch” basically the dog picks up nothing and duplicates it. This was an easy way to earn cap (Fallout currency) in the wasteland. One of the most annoying Fallout glitches of all time is the “npc in the door and won’t get out of the way glitch” this has shown up in every fallout game to date and is significant because the player basically has to kill  the npc or punch it out of the way so he/she can leave. The last type of glitches are the game breaking ones, this basically means the console need to be restarted. These occur randomly throughout the game mostly on PS4 and Xbox One, but can still happen on PC. The most common one is the loading screen will freeze and won’t unfreeze so the console needs to be reset. I have never heard of a glitch on Ps or Xbox that would ever ruin the game from any sort of glitches, but PC plays can with mods.


Skyrim is another game produced by Bethesda and it was considered to have great visuals and scenery  and in my opinion it did. Considering that “Fallout 4’s” visuals basicly trump those from Skyrim, playing the game was considerably more enjoyable. Unlike the previous games where the sky was a grey cloud, “Fallout 4” takes advantage of the next gen to create a sort of environment with ambient lighting,radiation storms, rain and a day and night sequence. But the scenery isn’t the only thing the game brings to the table, the game also had a full item and non-player character (npc) and overhaul to make the game more appealing to the eye. First is the item overhaul and what they did here, lots of people love, one of the most significant however is the new powerarmour.
The old powerarmour was basicly a suit of armour that you wore for as long as it didn't break, but now the powerarmour no longer has a condition scale, it is not an inventory item (exo-suit now), and it has a sort of fuel a.k.a fusion cores. Out of these three the exo-suit lime design is the most controversial, because it steps away from the traditional power armour that the fans loved. Next is the npc overhaul and I don’t think Bethesda did as good as a job as wanted. Just like the previous game characters have clunky faces that are even scary to look at sometimes. Even though the game's scenery is beautiful, Bethesda still managed to mess us on the faces and maybe changed the power armour too soon.


The game’s gameplay in my opinion is the strongest aspect and really brings the experience to a new level. Speaking of levels though Bethesda has totally overhauled the leveling side of the game from a point based system to the perk system now which was probably a smart decision.  Along with that is the most major part of the gameplay which is the story line that really packs a punch in this game. One of my favorite aspects is that the player starts out in the pre-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland that is Sanctuary, Boston on the day the bombs fall in 2077. A great feature to the game is that the player gets the feel of another dimension because every machine and car is run off of a nuclear generator and because the timeline is based of the 1950’s after the “Great War” a.k.a World War II. This joy is soon ended though because the bombs fall and the player is rushed to the safety of Vault 111. Vaults are an iconic symbol of the fallout series, but some Vaults were designed for other purposes rather than being a shelter after the bombs fell. Like the Vault the player and his/her family is put in, a cryogenic sleep testing Vault, but that is beyond the point. Fallout 4 did a great job depicting what life was like before the bomb.Another reason the gameplay is so good is the storyline, because there are so many “people” to meet and interact with is the game. My favorite being Nick Valentine a synth (synthetic Human) because he is a mysterious being and the fact that he is a detective is cool. The hole story is based of your character finding his son Shaun, but the plot twist and it turns out the player can actually kill the son after all that time of searching because when he was took from the vault you were asleep for 60 more years! I believe the gameplay is in a direct correspondence to whether the game is popular or not and I truly believe “Fallout 4” took the cake.


The final topic is the new and improved gunplay and combat engine. The old one was basically unusable because the guns were inaccurate, slow and did not produce damage the way they should have. The new one though is fully functional and feels like a first person shooter in an RPG (Role Playing Game), but for some reason older fans don’t like this because it takes away from having to use V.A.T.S (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System)  which was a major factor in survival in the previous games. This only make the game better though in the sense that not using V.A.T.S is acceptable now. The new and improved gun graphics are also a plus because the guns now look like they belong in the apocalypse and not the dumpster. I and many other players are very happy that Bethesda created a whole new gunplay and combat engine to the game which make the experience so much better.


Although the game may be good being a triple A game produced by Bethesda is known for having games with so many bugs and glitches, great scenery and graphics with clunky faces,fantastic gameplay and maybe some decent combat this time around. The gaming revolution has now taken its grip on the Fallout series and takin it to a new level miles away from that of the day of pong in 1975. Fallout 4’s user experience is fantastic and the bugs that are here today will be patched with new updates that are coming with “Fallout 4” along with some new DLC to make the game that much better.


The author's comments:

The game itself is truly, what inspired me...