Destiny on Xbox One | Teen Ink

Destiny on Xbox One

January 5, 2015
By JK_is_cool BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
JK_is_cool BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

After leaving the Halo series to 343 Industries, Bungie’s first new project was Destiny, a game that was promised to bridge all types of game modes. There was Co-op, Campaign, and Multiplayer all within the same menu, just a click away. This game was looking to bridge the gap between RPGs and Multiplayer. I can say that this has worked to a mixed result.
     

The different classes of character are very similar, as the upgrade branches can make one class the exact same as another. The three classes (Warlock, Titan, and Hunter) start out as different, but I could make my Warlock have as much armor rating as a Titan. I do like the different types of customization, though, as you can make your character a different colors with shaders (Although you can only get this at Level 20). Your personal vehicle (called a sparrow) helps with long-distance mobility, but besides color, look exactly the same. You also have a jumpship that everyone can see in the lobby. I wouldn’t waste glimmer (the currency in the game) on a new one though.
     

The story wasn’t as amazing as we had hoped for, but it is still relatively interesting. The voice acting was very uninspired, as Peter Dinklage is not excited for anything. Even after killing the final boss, he doesn’t shout or anything. The campaign contains the same map for each planet. You can’t tell one mission on Mars from another one on Mars. That being said, the graphics are absolutely stunning, as your character looks amazingly gorgeous. The maps look incredible too. The campaign missions are a bit repetitive. You essentially just have go through each location and kill everything. The enemies are mostly the same, although the bosses are fairly difficult.
     

Multiplayer is easy to get into, but it takes awhile to load and to search for people. Call of Duty games are much faster to get into. The maps are well designed, but it might take 2 minutes to find enemies on a large map. There aren’t a lot of game modes, and Control (Domination from Call of Duty) is the only game mode where the primary objective is not to kill the enemy team. They didn’t add team chat until a later update. There are no private matches. It feels as if the multiplayer is incomplete.
     

Finally, there are raids and strikes, which are 1-6 player Co-op games. They involve killing one or two giant bosses that may one-shot-kill you and have lots of health. On top of that, occasionally regular enemies start to attack you as well. These are very difficult to accomplish. However, with a good enough team, they are do-able. Teamwork is very key to victory, as you have to respawn other people where they died. This may be the most entertaining part of the game.
     

There is a social area, The Tower, in which you can buy weapons, redeem currency, and redeem different items. You may receive engrams for killing enemies, which you can have the encrypter give you a weapon from this engram. You can get bounties, for Multiplayer and Co-op, which can give you XP and reputation points for different people. The Multiplayer Quartermaster can give you Legendary items if you have enough reputation. The Vanguard is a class-specific person who can give you legendary items with enough Co-op reputation. You can join a Multiplayer faction that can give you legendary items as well. Xur is the guy that you want to see though, as with enough of his currency, can give you exotic weapons and armor that is better than legendary. It is very confusing, but with enough time, is easy to understand.
     

At the end of the day, Destiny was a little disappointing. It promised to incorporate everything into one game, but left out a lot of stuff that made different franchises special. It isn’t a rip-off of any game, but you could tell which parts of the game were from other games. That doesn’t mean the action isn’t fun to play. My advice to you: Get this game if you haven’t played both RPGs or Multiplayer. If you have played Halo, Call of Duty, and Borderlands, you aren’t really missing out if you haven’t gotten this game.


The author's comments:

Destiny was very hyped, but the final result had mixed results.