Ultimate Alliance on Xbox 360, PS2,PS3, Xbox | Teen Ink

Ultimate Alliance on Xbox 360, PS2,PS3, Xbox

April 21, 2014
By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
40 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD


This is a game brought to you by Raven Software, Beenox, and Marvel Comics. Yeah, I have nothing clever to say before I start this review. Here we go:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance: the videogame! This game is old, so I'm going to tell the tale of this game all the way: spoliers (duh).
The basic story is that Dr. Doom and the Masters of Evil are trying to take over the world. How? That's explained throughout the story mode and it's actually pretty surprising what happens. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. the plot begins with Dr. Doom sending a few baddies to attack the Helicarrier. In response to this threat, Nick Fury sends out a distress call to all metahumans. Thor, Captain America, Spiderman, and Wolverine respond and are transported to the Helicarrier. They kick some ass in an awesome cinematic reel. The funny thing is that the cover to the game and the cinematics are the best graphics in the game. The rest of the graphics aren't bad per say, but they're not exactly what I expected when I first played it. Then after a few battles with criminals like Winter Soldier, Radioactive Man and Fin Fang Foom, the team heads to Stark tower for the next mission (since the helicarrier was "so badly damaged"). One thing I noticed about the dialogue is that some characters create exclusive dialogue since the characters are known of each other's pasts. For example, when you face Winter Soldier as Captain America you get a legit conversation between the characters instead of a typical dialogue bubble. also, the roster in this game is huge. All your favorite characters are in this game: Deadpool, Spiderman, Iron man, Ms. Marvel, Colossus, The Fantastic Four, The Avengers, X-men, and more. The one thing I noticed too late was that for the DLC on some consoles you could buy additional characters like Hawkeye, Hulk, Venom, even Dr. Doom. I unfortunately didn't get that because I was too late, but I will find the Gold Edition where all the additional characters are included.
THe next few missions involve the Masters of Evil stealing equipment from the Omega Base, wreaking havoc in Atlantis, kidnapping Nightcrawler and Jean Grey, and even getting sent to a psychotic circus known as "Murder-World". As you proceed in the levels, you unlock extra cvharacters like Black Panther by collecting Action Figures, and Blade if you complete a claw game in Murder-World. As the story goes on there are a few side plots that occur, like the team suspecting that Black Widow is a double agent working for Doom, but they really don't go anywhere.
The story continues when the team goes into Mephisto's realm, aka Hell. Doom goes there so that he can make a deal with Mephisto to get a special sword. On the way you have to make a choice between saving two X-men that really doesn't effect the plot. Also, you unlock Ghost Rider. After that, they head to Asgard where Loki is trying to take over (shocking, isn't it?). Turns out, Doom got that sword so he could gain access to a mystic artifact which he uses to steal the powers of Odin, the AllFather. So, Doom's plan was to become a God? Okay. He tries to destroy the team, but Oatu the Watcher saves them. We then see some of the Inhumans before learning that you have to travel the universe to get two artifacts to defeat Doom: the M'Kraan Crystal and the Muonic Inducer from Galactus (who is attacking the Skrull homeworld).
After all that, the team is sent home where they find the planet turned into Doom-opolis. Doom used his Godly powers to twist the world into his image, and created clones and corrupted fallen superheroes to serve him. After a long way into Castle Doom, the team fights their clones and find Doom. The battle against Doom is legitmately challenging but is still pretty easy once you know what to do. Odin is restored and takes Doom and Loki to suffer for an eternity of punishment. Fury breaks up the team until a new threat comes around, and Galactus plots revenge for a sequel that never happened in the way we thought.
The gameplay is debatable. Some of the battles like the underwater fights are admittedly cool, but the fighting itself was nothing special. The simple beat-them-up style. The villain's plan was admittedly intriguing and not too obvious. The boss fights were definitely different from the minion fights and were cool.
Gameplay: 3.7 out of 5
Story: 4.5 out of 5
Overall, I liked this game.
Does it have its flaws? Of course. Is it perfect? Definitely not. But it's the Marvel team-up game players wanted and got. Hopefully we'll get one that's alot better, and maybe a DC vs MARVEL fighting game. But for the time we have here, this game was cool.
Worth buying period: 4 out of 5

So have any of you played Ultimate Alliance? What'd you think about it? Comment below and let me know. And check out my other reviews for more. Bye bye.


The author's comments:
Ultimate Alliance: Assemble!