The Last of Us on Playstation 3 | Teen Ink

The Last of Us on Playstation 3

July 19, 2013
By Sam_121699 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Sam_121699 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The kids on the bus were mean to her
mean to her
mean to her
The kids on the bus were mean to her
all year long"
(To the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus")


First of all, I know I’m late in reviewing this. I’ve been busy with a lot of things.
I’ve been excited for this game since it was first announced in January 2012. Created by the geniuses at Naughty Dog, this game was created exclusively for the Playstation 3 and was released on June 14, 2013. The game exceeded my expectations, and I was hooked all the way through. The game was directed by Bruce Straley and was written by Niel Druckmann. Props to them for creating a brilliant game.
The game stars Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson as Joel and Ellie, who move across the United States, helping the Fireflies (the only group that hasn’t given up on a cure) find a cure for the outbreak. Ellie is immune to attacks from the zombies (the most common two types are called runners and clickers, and the less common types are called stalkers and bloaters). Joel is hired to bring Ellie to the Fireflies by the local Firefly leader, Marlene. This is all I will disclose about the plot, as there is barely anything I can disclose without spoiling something.
The story is well written with no plot-holes whatsoever, and is an absolute sad-fest. The game will literally make you sad from the very beginning to the very end. It even made me cry a couple times. The only other time I cried during a game was while I was playing Telltale’s The Walking Dead. That means only the saddest of sad can make me cry, and that means The Last of Us contains the saddest of sad.
The level of gore, darkness and grittiness surprised me, as Naughty Dog created Jak & Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, and Uncharted. All of those series’ we’re feel-good and light-hearted, the darkest being Uncharted. Speaking of Uncharted, there is a very clever nod to it in the form of Uncharted: The Board Game. This leads me to one little nit-pick. In Uncharted 3, there is an easter egg in the form of a newspaper headline that speaks of the zombie outbreak, but in The Last of Us, the board game tells the player that Uncharted is fictional in this universe. The games contradict each other. That is my one problem with The Last of Us.

Everything: 10/10

Overall: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000/10

This game is amazing in every way!
My next review will most likely be: KICK-ASS 2


The author's comments:
Naughty Dog is my favorite game developer. All of their games are fantastic