Alone in the Dark on Survival horror | Teen Ink

Alone in the Dark on Survival horror

June 3, 2013
By Makyle Leavens BRONZE, Moosup, Connecticut
Makyle Leavens BRONZE, Moosup, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Alone in the Dark, the fifth game in the series, is one of the most fun games I ever played.
Alone in the Dark was released in 2008 by Atari for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 & 3, Wii, and PC. The series came out with five before Alone in the Dark (2008) in this series, Alone in the dark (1992), Alone in the Dark 2 (1993), Jack in the Dark (1993), Alone in the dark 3 (1994), and Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2001).The first Alone in the dark in the series released in 1992, it has the Guinness World record for first 3D Survival Horror Game but, does it live up to this achievement.
The game has an interesting progression system, which follows a DVD quality. If the player gets stuck the player can “Skip A Chapter”. The game then informs the player of anything they missed with a short theatrical cut scene.
The combat in the game is very exciting. The enemies in the game can only die by fire which gives the game an edge of excitement. You can acquire fire in many ways, through the environment (Car on fire), lighting flammable objects on fire (Wooden chair, Playground, and etc.), and through use of propellant (Medical and Rust spray).The game also can be changed from first to third person perspective at any point of playing for different scenarios you get stuck in.
Even though there are not many enemy types, each one is very powerful. The bat monsters can lift a speeding car and even destroy it as it is driving. The spider monsters can shoot goop into your eyes, blinding you. The smaller human enemies are more powerful than they look and can kill you very quickly. The big human enemies are bigger and have small fissures on their body that need to be touched with fire to kill them, and they can jump on your car and destroy it. And don’t even get me started on the big grey human monsters that can shoot spikes at you at far distances. They also have the small fissures on them that are needed to get touched with fire to kill them. I suggest you not to try to run over them with a car because it will stop you dead in your tracks. Good Luck!
I would tell you about the characters but it will spoil the game.
My overall opinion on this game is that it is the best survival horror game I've ever played and would suggest this game to anyone of my friends. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars at my own perspective of playing the game.

*Please excuse the image. I wasn't able to choose it.*