BioShock: | Teen Ink

BioShock:

December 2, 2022
By midwesrnerd SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
midwesrnerd SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In our day and age, single player games are sort of becoming a niche in the video game community, but this is not always the case. In 2008, 2K Games and Irrational Games created a virtual dystopian world under the ocean where giant possessed dive suits, little girls obsessed with collecting ADAM, and Plasmid addicted maniacs reign supreme. 2K and Irrational games poured their heart and soul into every corner of this game and it shows. The story of this game is wonderfully written with an eerie and remorseful feel to it. Although I will not completely spoil the story, I will highlight some of the key points in it. 

You, as the player, play as Jack, a man whose plane crash landed in the middle of the ocean and is then transported to the underwater dystopia that is called Rapture. The player then takes on quests and missions given to him by a man named Atlas. Atlas had his family taken from him by Andrew Ryan, a man who helped create Rapture and turned it from an alternative place to live into a warzone. Atlas asks the player to help him take down Ryan and shut down rapture for good. The story told with urgency and power, leaving the player with motivation to keep playing and uncovering the secrets of rapture. And when it ends, its multiple endings leave the player wanting more and to go back and play it all again. Next, BioShock’s gameplay is satisfying and fun. Using a combination of firearms and supernatural abilities called Plasmids lets the player take down enemies in ways only fathomable in this game. I distinctly remember being able to kill one Splicer with a shotgun and being able to pick up its body using telekinesis and hurl it at another, which is really fun to do. The game's unique blend of First Person Shooter with Action-Adventure and Survival Horror adds so much to the tension of the gameplay and environment. 


In conclusion, 2K and Irrational Games deliver on all cylinders with BioShock. From a gut twisting story, to fun and satisfying gameplay, and an eerie underwater utopia puts BioShock as one of the best single player experiences in modern gaming. I highly recommend you track down a copy and dive into rapture and uncover its secrets. 10/10


The author's comments:

This is one of my favorite games ever and want to convince people to play it!