League of Legends | Teen Ink

League of Legends

January 27, 2020
By Pixel3d GOLD, Sacramento, California
Pixel3d GOLD, Sacramento, California
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.


Want to play a game that is free to play while not worrying about micro-transactions? League of Legends, the free to play multiplayer online battle arena or MOBA for short created by Riot games. It’s been a popular choice amongst the free to play games out there on the internet for a LONG time. 10 years in fact, and since then it’s still booming in popularity and fan base even having people cosplaying their favorite champions and having its own competitive tournament such as the LCS and World Cup. Heck, even Louis Vuitton collaborated with Riot games to make 5 unique watches for the winner of 2019 World Cup championship. Isn’t that surprising!? Anyway, the game has been striving each year with new champions being release, skins being made, fun game mode, and special events. So what makes League of Legends so good? 

       

    Let’s talk about the gameplay and it’s mechanics. The game gives you a very simple and straightforward tutorial when you first start. It gives you a champion to use in the tutorial which is Miss Fortune, a pirate girl that has 2 flintlock pistols made from her mother. We’ll get into the story or lore later. She’s an attack damage carry or ADC for short. The instructions are very simple. You win the game by destroying the enemy nexus which is in their base. But before that, you must first pick a champion on who you want to play. Remember, once chosen, it cannot be undone until the match is over.


    Now let’s talk about the Champions. Champions are the playable characters in the game. Each one of them are unique in their own way and to your own liking. For example, I play Zed, a ninja that specialize in high burst damage and he also look very cool. League of Legends has 148 champions right now and will have more in the future. In those 148, there will be 1 or more champions that will suit to your likings. Their story or lore is also very interesting and good to read. In fact, the lore is so good that Riot has partner up with Marvel studios to create a League of Legends very own comic books. There’s even an animated movie coming out this year on Netflix. 


    League of Legends has 3 game modes or maps. The first one is Summoner’s Rift. The main map that everyone is playing. It consist of 3 lanes. A top lane, a middle lane, and a bottom lane. 1 in top lane, 1 in the jungle, 1 in mid lane, and 2 in bot lane, You will have to choose which lane you’ll be going before the game even starts. The jungle lane is a special position in the game. It’s a position where you can support your teammates and be on the offensive. It’s the game changer position in some ways.

The second one is the Howling Abyss. It has a different game mode then Summoner’s Rift. There’s only one lane. Just one lane to let all the players cause havoc to each other. It’s very simple. Destroy the enemy nexus. As easy as that, no? Well…not exactly. You see, the Howling Abyss, is a special mode. You cannot recall, or even buy items once return to your spawn. It’s a one time thing at the beginning of the game and after you respawn. Unlike Summoner’s Rift, Howling Abyss is an all out brawl without any rest. Which makes the match end faster than Summoner’s Rift. Oh did I forget to mention how long the match can be? Summoner’s Rift can go up to 30 minutes to an hour depending on the situation. Howling Abyss can go up to 20 to 30 minutes. So if you want a quick 5v5 match, Howling Abyss is your best choice.

 

League of Legends has one of the most craziest fan base ever to this date. Not only that but Riot games has been doing a fantastic job at progressing league of legends. From crazy good cosplay events to world phenomenon esports league like the World Cup. League of Legends is proven to be the best game in the free to play genre and in the MOBA genre as well.