Player Unknown's BattleGrounds: PUBG | Teen Ink

Player Unknown's BattleGrounds: PUBG

November 11, 2018
By jasmineyy SILVER, New York, New York
jasmineyy SILVER, New York, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Five players left. Now you only have to beat four other losers. The only problem is, you’re not in the safe zone. The blue circle is closing in on you and you’re still stuck in a forest of green with nowhere to go. PUBG, a battle royale shooter by Brendan Greene, has garnered over 400 million players worldwide. Relatively simple to play, PUBG takes elements of the battle royale genre and makes an entirely new game on its own. The simplicity and originality of PUBG, that's what makes the game enjoyable. PUBG is a masterpiece that combines normal battle royale elements, such as them”survival” aspect, with its own to create a truly magnificent game.

You are on a deserted island before the game actually starts. A plane drops you off to your desired destination as you scroll over the map to find places to loot. You jump off the plane and rip open your parachute as the other players do the same. Now the game begins. The goal of the game is to be the survivor out of a pool of 100 players. However, that’s not the only thing you have in mind- you still need to worry about being inside the blue safe zone and not getting bombed in the red zones.

The gameplay is easy to follow as well. As you look out for other players and run to get inside the safe zone, you also pick up items, or loot, like, med-kits, weapons, ammunition and even energy drinks that may boost your stamina. You can also pick up a larger backpack to store your items. Players have three modes to choose from: team, duo, and solo. There are four important buttons that players use. One is the toggle view button, which allows players to get a wider perspective of the battlefield.

Another is the joystick button which allows players to walk - and if the joystick is stretched far, run. The last two buttons are the jump and shoot buttons. Sometimes, players may find the controls hard to maneuver and collecting items unrealistic because of the movements of your avatars. However, this doesn’t affect the gameplay.

The graphics of the sound are high quality and even allows a player to camouflage themselves from others in bushes. The graphics are extremely realistic and the characters’ features model actual people. Sound plays a major role in most players’ games, an aspect that makes PUBG unique. The sounds in the game are very distinct and clear.  Players know when another player is near them if they hear footsteps or shooting. Players rely on sound for this reason alone.

PUBG has plenty of bugs and glitches, like any other game. However, that doesn’t take away from the gaming spect of PUBG. When buying this game, keep in mind that not everyone likes to play battle royale shooter games. But for those that do, playing PUBG will not be a regretful experience. I have not forgotten the wins, losses, and “chicken dinners” when I played PUBG.