Once Upon a Time | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Time

October 9, 2013
By Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Shelli Gorokhovsky GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

A curse strikes your world and you wake up in a human realm, with your whole life forgotten. With jaw dropping storylines, Once Upon a Time is a big puzzle, with every episode a small piece. As answers unfold, even more mysteries appear each one with an amazing twist. This unforgettable series takes you on an adventure between fantasy and reality, as you join the ride around two worlds, the past and the present, the magical and the human.

The entire show is based upon classical fairytales such as Snow White, The Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, and many more. Most of the characters were roles in a fairytale before they came to Storybrooke. The brilliant acting makes you forget that it only is a show and not a twisted classic that you are reading from a storybook. One very enjoyable part is to use your logic and try to make sense of who, in the classics, the characters are. Soon, when you find out, you realize whether or not you were correct.

Emma Swan, played by Jennifer Morrison, is the daughter of Snow White. Before the curse was cast, Snow White, or Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin), decided to send Emma to the other world, or the human world, and it was said that Emma would break the curse in 27 years. In this show, Emma is always leading a group of people and her character is very strong and brilliant, as she comes up with very intelligent solutions to everything she does. Also, Emma fights for the people she loves, and works for her accomplishments.

Mary Margaret is extremely optimistic and kind. The acting of this role is very believable and, although a bit cheesy, you soon develop a realization of why she acts this way and that the positivity has good outcomes. Regina (Lana Parrilla), also known as the Evil Queen, used to be a very kind woman. She is considered the villain, but still is searching for her happy ending. For this role, Lana Parrilla won an award for Favorite Villian. This is because she is incorporated as evil, but we also know about her back story, which makes the audience sympathetic.
Henry (Jared Gilmore) is a small boy filled with knowledge that can soon be wanted by villains, because of how great his mind and heart is. He is the son of Emma Swan, but was adopted by Regina. Henry’s role is probably the most important to the show, though he is not the main character. This is because his storybook is the entire show itself, except every episode is an addition to this book.

Although the show is based on these other stories, Once Upon a Time includes the perfect modernized differences that keep the show going. By allowing all the storytale characters to interact, the show creates its own whole story. The stories can sometimes include vicious, and heart shattering scenes, and at other times are very friendly and teach good, warming lessons. Another twist to original fairytales is that instead of all of the happy endings, every episode of the show ends with a big cliffhanger and the endings are always scary and leave you hungry for next week.

This magnificent and addicting show has only had two full seasons and, as of the 29th of September, it is in the middle of its third season. Therefore, it is easy for anyone who has not begun watching to soon catch up to the present episodes. In this terrifyingly amazing, plot changing third season, we are introduced to an entirely new world, as we park the ship in Neverland. There are new characters and unexpected outcomes, which add new additions to the storybook.
In 2011, the year it had premiered, the spell-binding series won a TV Guide Award for “Favorite new series,” clearly showing that many more viewers have really enjoyed the show. Also, the show focuses on every age, but primarily on teenagers. The reason behind this is that it is very addictive and interesting, but you need to use your head. At the same time, it is also very appropriate for minors.

Sparks will fly and you will be on the verge of your seat, as magic is proven real. You will be glad you joined the voyage among Once Upon a Time. Just be careful, the brilliance will cast a spell on you, and you won’t be able to look away.