Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars MAG

October 9, 2013
By Naja_ BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Naja_ BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
What you think of yourself is much more important that what people think of you


What would you do if your whole life was turned upside down? If everything you thought was true was really a lie? If you couldn't trust even those you hold closest? What if your secrets were no longer yours to keep?

“Pretty Little Liars” is a thrilling show with unpredictable plot twists and surprises at every turn. Nothing is as it seems for friends Emily Fields (Shay Mitchell), Spencer Hastings (Troian Bellisario), Hanna Marin (Ashley Benson), and Aria Montgomery (Lucy Hale) when their best friend and group leader Alison DiLaurentis (Sasha Pieterse) disappears. The girls start getting threatening text messages from someone called “A” who knows their darkest secrets, ones that only Alison knew. They endure physical and emotional trauma but continue searching for answers about Alison and their unknown tormentor, learning along the way that they can't trust anyone.

Although it all seems very ominous, the script manages to incorporate sarcastic humor, and the actors deliver their lines perfectly. The liars (as they are called) also find themselves in all sorts of situations, and whether they're upset or joyous, awkward or romantic, they never fail to make viewers laugh.

Relationship drama is a recurring conflict in “Pretty Little Liars.” Aria dates her English teacher; Spencer seems to like her sister's boyfriends a little too much; and Emily must come to terms with the fact that she is a lesbian. Hanna has the most stable relationship with her boyfriend, Caleb (they're affectionately known as Haleb by fans), but “A” always worms in and uses dirt on the liars to force them to do things they don't want to.

Based on the book series by Sara Shepard, “Pretty Little Liars” won all seven Teen Choice Awards it was nominated for this year, as well as many others in past years. Teenagers can relate to the drama of school and difficult relationships, which is how this show has maintained such popularity since its debut in 2010.

“Pretty Little Liars” is a great show that will never bore and will have you impatiently awaiting the next episode.