Ultimate Spider-man (Season 1) | Teen Ink

Ultimate Spider-man (Season 1)

July 19, 2013
By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
40 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD


Unlike the other Spider-man adapted shows, this one doesn't have a theme song. Why? I don't know. Disney couldn't afford one?
Ultimate Spider-man! So Ultimate Spider-man is a sort of spin-off show since Disney couldn't continue Spectacular Spider-man after buying MARVEL. For one thing, the show is nothing like the Ultimate Universe, so...yeah. Epic false advertising. Like almost every show, Season 1 has 26 episodes, and it is still continuing on Disney XD. I'll review Season 2 once it pops up on Netflix. If it pops up on Netflix. I hope it'll pop up on Netflix. Anyway the show centers around, who else? Spider-man! Spider-man is contacted by Nick Fury, who wants to S..H.I.E.L.D. train him to become the Ultimate Spider-man. The character of Peter Parker has a few flaws, but nothing to serious in my eyes. This time, Drake Bell is doing the voice of Spider-man. When I first learned that, I thought to myself, "What?" I honestly never imagined Drake Bell in any role like that, but I easily adapted and thought that he didn't do too bad. Peter Parker is a bit cocky and over-confident, and for once, he breaks the fourth wall. He does it all the time to help fill in the gaps for those of us who are new to the Spider-man experience. I got hooked into this show because it was Spider-man. The first episode introduces us to the whole 'Spider-man Experience'. The second episode introduces a team of heroes that Spider-man has to take under his wing and teach them since he has a ton of real world experience. These heroes are White Tiger (who I've never heard of until now), Iron Fist, Power Man, and Nova (who I've heard of). A good chunk of the episodes involve Spidey having to get along with his team, and actually make them a team. We also see some other heroes and villains from the MARVEL Universe like Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, Dr. Doom, Trapster, and of course a ton of Spider-man villains. We eventually see Doctor Octopus, Venom, and the Green Goblin in the finale. One thing that I wasn't very fond of was what they did with Venom. Instead of being an alien symbiote, it was made from Spider-man's DNA. That was acceptable. What wasn't acceptable was that Venom was Harry Osborn, instead of Eddie Brock. I was able to get past that the first time, until they did it again, and again, and again. Then (spoiler from Season 2) in the latest episode of Ultimate Spider-man, Spidey nukes the Venom symbiote in space. Yeah, you heard right. As far as I'm concerned for the moment, no...more...VENOM!!! In fact, get an episode with Carnage, but like Spider-man 3, he gets only 10 minutes of screen time. I'm not kidding. We only see Carnage for about 10 minutes total in the episode! Okay, back to the focus of this review.
A few things that they did do right included the Spider armor, Spider-man teaming up with our favorite Marvel characters, and some incredible animation. Except for the parts when Spidey cracks some jokes and references, then the animation looks more cartoon-like. But, the comedy is gold. Most of the jokes Spider-man makes, made me laugh out loud. Aside from the obvious changes to the lore and the few screw-ups, I didn't find Season 1 of Ultimate Spider-man wasn't that bad. I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's a 4 out of 5 at the most. If you're interested in watching it, you can catch Season 1 on Netflix. So have you seen Ultimate Spider-man? What did you think of it? Comment below, let me know. And if you want to see more reviews like this one, check out my other reviews. Bye-bye.


The author's comments:
Spider-man! Ultimate Spider-man! Does whatever a spider can! Spins a web, any size, catches thieves just like flies. Look out! It's the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!!! I love this show. It's still on, but Season 1 is over. And I'm going to review it!