M*A*S*H | Teen Ink

M*A*S*H MAG

By Eric Bickelman BRONZE, Wilmore, Kentucky
Eric Bickelman BRONZE, Wilmore, Kentucky

War. A glorious thing, right? Only occasionally for Hawkeye, Klinger, B.J., Potter, Hotlips, Mulcahy, Braymore, and McIntyre, who are all stationed in Camp 4077 during the Korean War. The events that take place there are captured in the 251 episodes that aired from the series' start in 1972.

In Korea, secluded from the outside world and repairing injured soldiers, the “M*A*S*H” team brought humor, drama, and excitement into American homes. “M*A*S*H” is worth watching for its intricate acting, unforgettable characters, and unpredictable plot.

The acting in this sitcom really sets the mood for each episode. Characters like Klinger make the show more fun to watch with their hilarious antics. For example, I won't forget how he dressed up in dresses or when he said, “The colonel has sworn me to secrecy – with real swear words.” The writing makes the dialogue believable.

The unpredictability of the plot is a key ingredient in this show's success. In one episode, a young man wants to donate blood to a fellow soldier. Hawkeye takes samples only to find that the patient has leukemia. Whoa. That was unexpected, right? These entangled plots and mazes twist and turn around each other only to come out right in the end.

Watching “M*A*S*H” is an excellent use of time because of the great acting, the sincerity of the characters, and the hilarity of the plot. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch it. “M*A*S*H” is the perfect mix of drama and comedy.

Selo94 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 3 2010 at 6:42 pm
Selo94 BRONZE, Sandy Spring, Maryland

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." -George Carlin

Thank you so much for this. I love M*A*S*H dearly, and own almost all 11 seasons, although there are only a handful of episodes I've been lucky enough to sit down and watch. It's such a classic show, and it melds the silliness with wartime seriousness so well. Glad to see I'm not the only teen who is a fan of this