The Secret Life of the American Teenager | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of the American Teenager MAG

By Tricia Kersten BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
Tricia Kersten BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

ABC Family made a daring move in creating the new hit series, “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” The show focuses on Amy Juergens (Shailene Woodley), a 15-year-old who has just discovered she is pregnant. Viewers follow Amy as her family and friends find out.

Creator Brenda Hampton does an excellent job realistically portraying this all-too-common teen hardship. Each episode begins with a parental warning, and at the end a character encourages parents to talk to their kids about sex. Although Amy is a smart and responsible teen, she had never had the sex talk, and now she and her ­parents must deal with the consequences.

Almost every teenager can relate to this show, whether pregnant, a young father, dealing with “unfair” parents, or experiencing discrimination because of race, faith, or situation. The show can sometimes seem a bit far-fetched, but it never ceases to entertain and teach its teen audience.

Priya21 BRONZE said...
Priya21 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

"Be who YOU want to be, not what people tell you to be." -Me

I definitely agree with you! Many people say that this show is atrocious with horrible acting. I disagree with them. Perfect review of the lives of people like the Jerguens and reality. GREAT JOB!!!

Writingstar SILVER, Hayward, California
great show! lots of drama

archery10 said...
nice review! i haven't seen the show, and now I want to see it

on Jan. 8 2010 at 9:08 am
XxEmo_Gurl26xX BRONZE, Darien Center, New York

"hahaha. (:"
"I love you more than ever && ever. "
"Why does he love me when he doesn't, even though he tells me he cares & misses me??"

love thiss show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!