Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir Review | Teen Ink

Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir Review

Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir is a French animated TV show that despite being intended for kids, manages to capture the interest of many teens and young adults with its unique take on superhero action and engaging love square dilemma. 
The show is centered around its two main characters, Marinette and Adrien, and highlights the struggles they face as teenagers—school, family, friends, etc.—whilst also leading a secret double life as Paris’ well-known superheroes, Ladybug and Cat Noir. Classmates-by-day, Marinette and Adrien transform themselves into their superhero forms by using their miraculous—a piece of jewelry that grants a special power to its beholder—rendering themselves blind of the other’s secret identity.  
Ladybug and Cat Noir must defeat Hawkmoth—the main villain in the series—and retrieve his miraculous to stop further chaos and put an end to his schemes. There’s constant competition between Ladybug, Cat Noir and Hawkmoth as both sides attempt to seize the other’s miraculous, each with their separate goals. It’s said in the series that whoever succeeds in merging the Ladybug and Cat miraculous will achieve absolute power and be granted one wish, but it’s important to remember that everything comes with a cost. 
Ladybug and Cat Noir make a wonderful duo, constantly contrasting each other, as she holds the power of creation, and he holds the power of destruction. Their differences are what allows them to work in harmony and become a stronger duo.  
What makes this show stand out from any other superhero cartoon is the slow burn love square involving only two people. Marinette views Adrien and Cat Noir as two completely different people, one as her super crazed crush, and the other as just her friendly partner in crime. As per Adrien, it’s quite the opposite. To simplify matters for you, Marinette is in love with Adrien in his civilian form and Adrien is in love with Ladybug as he’s oblivious to her secret identity. Both not knowing who the other’s secret identity is what makes this love square all that more interesting than any other. You truly get addicted to this show just dying to finally see their identity reveal. 
Ladybug and Cat Noir rely more on their brains than their brawns to restore justice in Paris. As Ladybug’s Lucky Charm power is only part of the solution to defeating the villain, she must think of a way to utilize her creation to win the fight. 
Although this show has many great aspects to it, I do admit that the plot in the first two seasons is underdeveloped. It’s quite normal for a kid’s show to have repetition and innocuous content in the plot, but if you’re not into that sort of thing then I recommend just skipping straight to season three since that’s where the plot really starts to take off.  
Overall, this is a great show to watch if you’re seeking out something not too dramatic to pass the time and wind down. If cartoons are already your thing, then I would 10/10 recommend this for your next binge watch.  

on May. 18 2023 at 7:34 am
Thecrazycatbookwormlady BRONZE, Fredrick, Maryland
I see that you have forgotten to mention the insane love hexagon. To all the other humans. 10/10 would watch.