The Big Bang Theory | Teen Ink

The Big Bang Theory

By 8g329g813 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
8g329g813 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

“The Big Bang Theory” is a television show about 4 friends, Sheldon, Leonard, Howard, and Raj, who all like video games, comics, and comic-con. They also work in the field of science and exhibit social quirks in different ways. Some interesting facts about the Big Bang Theory are that biologists discovered a new species of bees and named it after Sheldon’s catchphrase, bazinga. Another one is that when Sheldon plays an instrument called the theremin and Jim Parsons actually knows how to play the theremin. It is one of the hardest instruments to play. Another one is that Jim Parsons first audition was so good that Chuck Lorre asked him to audition again.

Leonard is an experimental physicist who shares an apartment with Sheldon. Sheldon was a child prodigy who earned a PhD when he was only 16! He is a theoretical physicist researching quantum mechanics and string theory, he also has difficulty in simple social routines and is determined to have his own way. He eventually meets and marries Amy Farrah Fowler, despite his social limitations. Penny is a waiter at the Cheesecake Factory, she wanted to be an actress, but wasn’t offered any roles so she became a pharmaceutical sales representative. Howard is an aerospace engineer, lived with his mother, Debbie, then meets and marries Bernadette who is a pharmaceutical biochemist. Raj is a particle astrophysicist who was unable to talk to women unless he drank alcohol and later on, he met some girls and overcame his selective mutism.

After watching the tv show for several months, I feel it has a lot of sarcasm and banter which makes it interesting. In one episode, Penny sarcastically tells Sheldon that Bill Gates wants to meet him, he takes it seriously, however, he never really met him. The writers also wrote for other successful shows such as, “Two and a Half Men,” “Young Sheldon,” and “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!”

As the show has been around for 11 years, it changed Sheldon’s character by maturing causing him to be less interesting and the writers may have ran out of ideas for the storylines. Otherwise the tv show is satisfying, it has great storylines, it is well written, it has intelligent humor, and good quality actors.