The Show That Is Changing Lives Across The Nation | Teen Ink

The Show That Is Changing Lives Across The Nation

By st114168 BRONZE, Hemet, California
st114168 BRONZE, Hemet, California

There has never been a television show that has captured the hearts of so many people like the show, “This Is Us” by Dan Fogelman. “This Is Us” is an emotional roller coaster telling the story of the Pearson family. Parents Rebecca and Jack Pearson are raising three children, Kevin, Kate, and, Randall. The show follows the sibling through different stages in their lives as they learn important life lessons. One way “This Is Us” has so many people hooked on is that they bring up and portray real  social issues that other shows have shied away from. For example, Randall is an African American boy, adopted by Rebecca and Jack who are both Caucasian. Growing up not aware of who his biological parents were, and in a mostly white community Randall feels as if a piece of him is missing. Being that it was the Eighty’s, and racism was even bigger than it is today, people of the same race seemed to segregate into one social group. One day at the community pool, Rebecca becomes worried when she can't find Randall anywhere. After frantic searching, she finds him with a group of black families, playing with other kids. This is were Rebecca realizes she needs to take the extra steps so Randall can be surrounded by whom he is most comfortable with. “ This Is Us” also touches on struggling with weight, miscarriage, addiction, abuse, and so much more that makes people realize they aren't alone.

I am in 10th grade.