Shameless | Teen Ink

Shameless

By paytonj024 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
paytonj024 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Admit it. When you hear “Chicago” you think guns, violence, gangs, and poverty. I’m used to seeing Chicago portrayed as a place where nothing but crime and death thrive. But, the TV show Shameless depicts Chicago in a different way.

Shameless discusses serious issues the city faces, but in a light, humorous, and entertaining way.

Follow the Gallaghers: a dysfunctional Southside family. Meet Frank, the deadbeat dad, Fiona, the glue that holds the family together, Lip, the genius, Ian, the boy with a secret, Debbie, the sweetheart, and Carl, the wildcard.

Shameless tackles child abandonment, gentrification, drug addiction, alcoholism, poverty, and so much more, but in a way unlike any show I’ve ever seen. It expresses these themes but still shows what a positive place Chicago is.

Despite the problems the family faces, they never fail to love one another or leave anyone behind. No matter what they do, they’re always supportive and helpful through any difficulties thrown at them.

Shameless is also entertaining. Throughout all eight (soon to be nine) seasons, I’ve gotten very attached to the characters. They make me cry, cheer, clap, and sometimes want to throw a chair at the TV, but it’s alright because they always make up for it.

It’s also so funny. Pretty much every episode has made me laugh, whether it’s one of Carl’s shenanigans or Frank’s oddly eloquent speeches or Lip’s witty comebacks, the Gallaghers always make me smile.