Atlanta Season 1 | Teen Ink

Atlanta Season 1

By MadProphet SILVER, Tallahassee, Florida
MadProphet SILVER, Tallahassee, Florida

"Happiness can exist only in acceptance." -George Orwell

I absolutely love this show. It is definitely one of the most profound, thought-provoking television series of modern time. The way that Donald Glover creates social commentary through humorous situations is reminiscent of The Boondocks' style of comedy. While I personally find this series to be phenomenal, it is an acquired taste. If you enjoy social commentary and keep an open mind, then Atlanta will definitely be the show for you.

The story of Atlanta is that it is a surreal television show focused around sociopolitical issues and the lives of Earn, Alfred, Darius and Vanessa as Alfred and Earn struggle to become successful in the Atlanta rap scene. Each episode is connected through the plot line of Paperboi's rap career and how it affects the other character, but they all focus on different elements of the society that the characters inhabit.

The messages that this show portrays through conflict are astounding. There are multiple conflicts that occur between characters throughout the show, and the majority of these conflicts are indicative of how violence affects the Black community. Earn is depicted to have an internal struggle as he strives to provide for his family and rectify his shortcomings. This often results in Earn having to make difficult decisions such as living inside of a storage facility and pawning his iPhone for a meager price. There are also a variety of societal conflicts depicted in this series. Everything from transphobia to racism to classism is touched upon in this show.

In general, Atlanta serves as a commentary on the Black experience in modern America. Each episode deals with these characters coping in a society that places them at a disadvantage, yet expects success from them regardless of their status.