Kings At Heart/Horizon by Kings At Heart | Teen Ink

Kings At Heart/Horizon by Kings At Heart

February 28, 2015
By birdafraidofheights BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
birdafraidofheights BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 35 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."-Kurt Cobain


 Although Kings At Heart's self-titled album was released in 2012, it is one album that needs to be shared with everyone. The Australian band Kings At Heart isn't just a regular melodic hardcore band. They have a sound all their own, and it's beautiful and unique. The album begins with the empowering "Lifetime of Amends" and ends with "Wolf Tracks", the slow, bewitching love song.

 

I've heard many people say that they don't understand the "screaming", but to understand the genre of melodic hardcore you must listen to the lyrics and feel the emotion that goes into the music. The vocalist, Tyson Kerr takes all the emotions he feels and pours out his heart. That is what music should be about, all the emotions being poured into a beautiful song.

 

With this album, you can hear and feel the sadness, pain, and anger. When I first listened to Kings At Heart, I wanted to listen to more. I felt the sadness, pain, and anger. That might sound depressing, but everyone loves sad songs, and I like hearing songs that make me feel something. This is the kind of band that empowers and inspires people. This is the type of music that everyone should hear.

 

The first song I heard was on Youtube, with their 2014 song, Horizon. The video is just as emotional and stunning as the song itself. You can actually see the pain in Tyson's face as he's singing the heartbreaking lyrics. Even though it's a video (and prerecorded), he shows true human feelings. It's a painful, yet beautiful thing to watch. I recommend listening to the song (and all other songs), and if you don't feel anything from hearing and watching that video or listening to the album/EP, then you are not a human being.

 

Here are the lyrics to Horizon:

 

"I'm trying to help myself.
I'm learning to be a better man.
Start breathing, but pain will come again.
And I'll try to live again, with your scent on my neck.

I feel your heart when you’re touching me,
the scars always reminding me that this hope will only go so far.
Have your seen my dream, every time I fall, like a heart being torn at the seams?
Have you ever felt this way before?

I'm tired of heartache and all the pain I've caused,
And I can't love anyone until I learn to love myself.

How can I feel this way when your heart still feels the same?
I'm fragile and in pain.
Watch me waste away.

I'm broken inside, my worlds in stitches.                                 For the meantime, at the moment its the way I feel.
Life fades as I start to heal.
Can I hear your voice, can i say your name?
I'm in trenches that I can't escape.
It's just the way I am.
My heart flashes to the room, and it begins to race.

How can I feel this way when your heart still feels the same?
I'm fragile and in pain.
Watch me waste away.

I'm scared of dying, and I'm tired of lying.
For the first time in my life I am finally trying.

And it's gotten to the point where I don't know who I am anymore, or if there's anyway to change what I've become.
And I am so sorry. I am sorry for the dark cloud I have cast over you.

For the first time in my life I swear i'm trying.
For the first time in my life I am finally flying.

And I want to stop this tragedy, this depression, this pain, the heartache that we feel every single day.
And you know what it's like to be down and done, but i won't take it anymore.

I'm finally trying.
i'm finally flying.
i'm finally trying.
i'm finally flying.


The author's comments:

Kings At Heart is one of the most unique, beautiful, and most emotional bands I've ever heard. I wanted to share their music with everyone.