Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill | Teen Ink

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill MAG

Fueled by MTV buzz clip "You Oughta Know," Alanis Morissette's new CD has been getting a lot of airplay and attention. But the album "Jagged Little Pill" is not a backdrop for a one-hit-wonder, as every song carries the intensity of her current hit. Each song gives the listener a magical feeling, displaying Alanis' tremendous songwriting talent.

"Jagged Little Pill" is just as the title suggests. The CD is a motley arrangement of energetic power-pop, cunning ballads, and harmonica-ridden blues tracks. The smash "You Oughta Know" is a look back at a failed relationship. The song is helped along by special guests from the Red Hot Chili Peppers; Flea and Dave Navarro playing bass and guitar, respectively. Other songs of equal caliber include "Forgiven," an introspective questioning of Alanis' faith, and "Ironic," a song about coincidental tales of woe and wonder. Also, the song "You Learn" gives hints of R&B star Des'ree's inspirational hit "You Gotta Be," and "Mary Jane" comforts the victim of an eating disorder.

Critics and music fans agree that Alanis Morissette is set apart from the scores of other female singers because her songs really make the listener think and feel. When was the last time a song gave you goosebumps? Alanis has a natural talent to say things that other songwriters simply cannot. Many of the smoothly crafted songs are just as well suited for a poetry book as they are for a rock album. Whether the CD "Jagged Little Pill" sells five copies or five million, it will remain a classic in my music collection