Evanescence – | Teen Ink

Evanescence – MAG

In a world of over-processed voices and vulgar lyrics, finding real music is almost ­impossible, especially metal. Everywhere you turn, you see media drones smiling from the covers of CDs. Evanescence is a gothic metal act that has managed to stay true to itself and gained huge popularity. With its soulful blend of electric guitar, rhythmic piano, and mournful lyrics, it's easy to see why it's one of the best acts out there.

Amy Lee, the lead singer and songwriter, adds strong yet smooth vocals for a flawless finish. Though Evanescence is a relatively new band, they've gained a loyal following.

“Fallen” is by far the best and won them two Grammys for “Best New Artist” and “Best Hard Rock Performance” (for the song “Bring Me to Life”). It features other hits like “Going Under” and “My Last Breath.” These days, many songs are plagued by crude and pointless lyrics. The songs here reflect a multitude of emotions. Whether it's unrequited love or grief, Lee's voice portrays it.

I first picked up this CD because of the cover: a somewhat creepy picture of Lee's head in black and neon blue. Ever since, I've been enthralled by songs like “Tourniquet,” a stirring tale of betrayal and lost love, and “My Immortal,” an emotional blend of soft piano and somber lyrics.

Evanescence's songs appeal to gothic music fans everywhere, but they're not too hardcore for those unfamiliar with the genre. This album is truly a must-listen for anyone looking for something dark and emotive amidst a sea of substandard bubble-gum pop.

TubaLady DIAMOND, Athens, Michigan

"I know how it feels to be completely alone and helpless, and the last thing you want to hear in that situation is, 'It's going to be OK. ' The only thing that seems to really help is that someone else who has felt that low expressing those feelings"

Amy Lee didn't write most of My Immortal, it was Ben Moody. Amy only wrote the bridge.

DreamAngel BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Without my mind and without my dreams, never will I truly be."

I'm Evanescence obsessed to say the least. I have all of the songs that can be found on iTunes on my phone. All 3 of their albums are amazing and so are their EPs. Good to know that real talent is still up and running in the music industry today.

Mollyimmortal83, Alabaster, Alabama

"You can do anything if you're determined enough."

My absolute favorite band. It's a shame that my generation prefers to listen to vulgar lyrics without another thought.

mydeadsociety, Henderson, Nevada
a computer made famous? lol hello skrillex

Coffeecat3 said...
Coffeecat3, Vista, California

The world is gonna try and clean you up, what are you going to do about it? They're gonna try to make you pretty,

I agree, Many artists that are out there have zero talent. They have no musical ability whatsoever and I don't even know how they became famous.

I applaud your music taste. I love Evanescenes' music style Amy Lees' vocals.  

cut-out-ur-eyes SILVER, Mechicsvil, Virginia

See the animal in his cage that you built. Are you sure what side you're on? What if everything around you, Isn't quite as it seems? What if all the world you think you know, Is an elaborate dream? -Nine Inch Nails

(To me) it sounds like a lot of the songs are about her sister's death. I love Evanescence, Amy is amazing.

chloena_garrett GOLD, Colorado City, Texas

At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

EXACTLY RIGHT. For example- Tpain. what a pathetic person. A computer can be famous and sing better than a person.

Miki-chan BRONZE, Waynesboro, Mississippi

Don't screw with Crazy.

That's pretty much where I stand actually.

knightly99 said...
Your review is really true. There's a lot of talentless people out there call themselves 'artists'. Evanescence is not one. And their music is awesome :) best metal band out there.

beautiful band

musicprincess PLATINUM, Braselton, Georgia

They say that love is forever, your forever is all that I need

Tourniquet deals with sui.cide and whether or not they'll be forgiven and allowed into heaven (for those who have been wondering) and it's actually a cover song.

callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

great review; the way you write really makes the reader want to listen to their music (although i've already heard their music before, and yes, they are very good!)

Fate98 GOLD said...
on Jun. 2 2011 at 3:22 am
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

*only

soz i'm a bad typest

Fate98 GOLD said...
on Jun. 2 2011 at 3:20 am
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

Amy Lee has the most powerful and beautiful voices that i could onle dream of having. The atmospher at an Evanescence gig is mezmorising. The way she captures the music and look of the band it fantastic

on May. 19 2011 at 10:09 am
ShannonLaDieu SILVER, Waycross, Georgia

The best part of beauty is that no picture can express- Loren blake Chosen House of Night serise
mee-uf-ow!- Nala(Zoey's Cat) House of night Books
since when has public making-out become a turn-on for you?- Zoey Redbird

Amy Lee sings about emotin. Take their song My Immortal for instance. She wrote that after a los very great to her. And what about Bring me to life? She wrote that about her feeling towards her former boyfriend. Amy Lee and the band write music from their personal experience.

Fallingxinxreverse, State, Other

"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there... with a hot guy."

"Oh mother, shut up! Don't you understand? The water is freezing and there aren't enough boats. Not enough by half. Half the people on this ship are going to die. "~Rose (Titanic)

I just want to say that "Tourniquet" isn't about lost love at all.

It's simply about death. so.. yea..

Hope Udarbe said...
Hope Udarbe, Westminster, Colorado

i always liked EVANESCENCE

she is so kool

Holly_Frost GOLD, Henrietta, Texas

Individuality makes us human

I've always loved Evanescence! They rock

DarkAngelWishes, Gresham, Oregon

I'm living my own life, those who do not like who I am. Deal with it. I'm who I am and you can't change that, so goodbye...

Evanescence, probably some of the most deep and amazing music ever, cant stop listening to them, they're my top band

SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois

If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

Evanscene is like a drug to me. I just cant have enough. lol (not that i do drugs) once i heard them, i couldnt sto listening!!!! very nice review(: