Billy Joel "Live at Madison Square Garden" | Teen Ink

Billy Joel "Live at Madison Square Garden" MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

The lights dimmed, the crowd roared, the piano boomed and the show began - it was Billy Joel, live at Madison Square Garden. It had been four years since I had seen Joel on tour with Elton John and I was hoping his alcoholism had not affected his music. When the show started, all my doubts were put to rest. Starting with “Angry Young Man,” Joel showed he still has incredible talent.

Accompanying Joel was his band, almost all from the New York metropolitan area. After “Angry Young Man,” he began the set list with songs from early albums, “The Nylon Curtain” and “52 Street.” It was nice to hear songs like “Zanzibar” and “Stiletto,” plus some I didn't know and others I had not heard in years.

I will never forget the talent of his band. There were the usual guitars, bass and drums, but it was the horn section (besides the piano) that brought the songs to life. For songs like “Movin' Out” and “Only the Good Die Young,” the three musicians added a sound that stayed in my mind long after I left the Garden. The only complaint I had was missing “Miami 2017,” a song associated with New York City. My favorites were the last two, “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant” and “Piano Man,” the one song everyone wants to hear.

Leaving the Garden, the music still played in my head. The concert was one of the best I have ever attended.

i love this so much!