Flyleaf – “Flyleaf” | Teen Ink

Flyleaf – “Flyleaf” MAG

“I will break into your thoughts, with what’s written on my heart.” Lacey Mosely begins with high-pitched, smooth vocals, drawing you into the soft sound of her voice. However, this lead singer of the alternative-metal band, Flyleaf, shows just what her band is about with the roaring, angry growl that follows. Through the strength of Mosely’s voice, accompanied by guitar, bass, and drums, you live the stories portrayed and drown in the emotions. The lyrics are truthful and penetrating, grabbing your soul and forcing it to comprehend.

Noted as a breakout band of 2008 by Rolling Stone, Flyleaf and its self-titled debut album are going to have you at the ­repeat button, replaying the haunting songs until this music is the only thing in your mind’s playlist. Of the 11 compelling, mesmerizing tunes, the most well-known is “All Around Me.” It’s an exhilarating song with a catchy chorus. After hearing it on the radio, I was convinced to get the album, and I’m extremely satisfied with my decision.

The other singles are “I’m So Sick” and “Fully Alive.” Both songs incorporate lots of drumming, with quick beats and captivating melodies. Though the songs make you energized, the lyrics are deep and powerful, giving the songs both excitement and depth. The words are intense, penetrating stories of tragedy, allowing you to clearly visualize the meaning of the songs.

“Cassie,” an emotional song with a bold tune, is possibly the most touching. Telling of a girl who died for her faith in God, the lyrics move you in a way only possible with strong words and a strong voice. Mosely’s soul bleeds out onto the track, the force of her pain-filled screams echoing throughout, making the song even more powerful.

Though Flyleaf has obviously mastered hard-hitting, thrilling tunes, their platinum debut album includes ballad-type songs that are also worth a listen. “So I Thought” is an entrancing song with a soft melody and a calming feel to the melody and lyrics. “I tried to kill you, you tried to save me” are lines from “Perfect,” a song that grabs your attention with the lyrics and enhances the already brilliant CD.

Some tunes do sound similar in the sense that Mosely’s voice doesn’t vary from song to song, but as a whole, the album will become etched in your mind. With an exceptional vocalist and talented musicians, Flyleaf is a remarkable band that will be sure to crawl their way up to your list of favorites.

Unlike bands that incorporate good beats but have cliché lyrics that make you nauseous, or have somewhat meaningful words, yet a dreadful sound, Flyleaf is a rare find. With aggressive music and inspiring lyrics, every listen is an experience that will leave you counting the seconds until you can again fill your ears with their electrifying music.

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

“God, of your goodness, give me yourself; you are enough for me, and anything less that I could ask for would not do you full honour. And if I ask anything that is less, I shall always lack something, but in you alone I have everything”

I agree with you, FlyLeaf is a great band with a great message. I love how they profess the message of God in a way that teens like. Its a great ministry they have created. The screamo is not too over-powering, which I like. My favorite is Fully Alive! (but all the others are good too):)I hope they stay strong and dont water down the message!

Gossamer said...
Gossamer, North Hill, Other

Love. I don't care what happened or who did it to you. Love anyway.

Absolutely. Your review is perfect. Even if I wasn't a Flyleaf fan already, I would have become one because of the article.

Hi, good article!! One thing, though. Instead of "nauseous," it should have been "nauseated."

someday931 said...
on Feb. 1 2009 at 2:50 am
I love Flyleaf. Lacey wrote Cassie about the Columbine massacre and one of the girls that died in it. She has the best scremo I've ever heard from boy and girl.

flyleaf is the best band in da world!!!

musiclvr said...
on Jan. 12 2009 at 1:05 am
I absolutely love FlyLeaf too and their song All Around me. Thanks for writing about them!

PringerGirl said...
on Dec. 31 2008 at 12:08 am
OMG!!! i am Flyleaf's HUGEST fan! i espically love their song, all around me. i am soooo happy you wrote an article about them, they deserve a lot more credit then they get.

alwaysme said...
omg i love flyleaf. so happy u wrote this article as the band doesnt get as much credit as they deserve.

they are definatly my favorite and this is a very well written article.

posedxtoxdie said...
on Dec. 20 2008 at 1:10 am
Flyleaf is definitely an amazing band. I first heard them when I raided my cousin's iTunes summer before last after getting my first iPod. She only had the songs "Fully Alive" and "I'm So Sick" but I loved them. But I never actually bothered to go and buy the CD or anything.

Then, back in March, one of my best friends asked if I wanted to go to a concert with her at Six Flags Over Texas. The bands performing? Family Force 5, Hawk Nelson, and Flyleaf. I went out and bought the Flyleaf CD, needless to say, and learned all the songs within a week.

The concert? Purely amazing. Did you know Lacey got her start there at Six Flags as one of the camera people at the front gate that goes, "Hi! Welcome to Six Flags Over Texas! Can I take your picture?" I don't know how common that information is, but there it is anyway.

Needless to say, Flyleaf is one of my favorite bands now.

AwesomeA96 said...
on Dec. 5 2008 at 12:49 am
I agree, Flyleaf is an amazing band. I liked how you captured the genre of the band with your words, though. Very nice.