Sempiternal by Bring Me the Horizion | Teen Ink

Sempiternal by Bring Me the Horizion

By HEYOITSJAMES SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
HEYOITSJAMES SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The constant struggle to create an album that is both critically praised, and loved by the fans, is a line that seems to be growing ever so distant. With fans constantly demanding bands to stay the same, and critics demanding the need for progression from a band from album to album, no wonder many of bands’ feel the stress that they occur trying to meet this musical equilibrium. However once in a blue moon, a band manages to come by and play their cards correctly that they produce an album that may just stand out as one of the genres most well constructed albums, which will truly stand the test of time.

Meet British Metal band, Bring Me the Horizon, whose forthcoming album Sempiternal (Meaning everlasting), proves why they are a force to be reckoned with. The bands since their early days have constantly fought, tooth and nail throughout their career to be listed as one of the best, constantly redefining themselves, to better themselves for the fans, and for the critics.

The albums opener Can You Feel My Heart, sends you into a opening intro that may have you asking yourself “Did I skip a song?” it immediately starts into a huge electronica build, that will remain stuck in your head as it is just as catchy, as it is emotionally driven. The part of this song that may catch the listener the most off guard, is the inclusion of absolutely outstanding clean vocals. Most of the time, clean vocals would take away from the overall flow of ones songs, but they manage to make it work interchangeably throughout the entire record. With amazing guitar leads, that truly show their increasing potentional, the song pounds it’s way through and into the song House of Wolves, this is where the album starts to please older fans, and it faithfully sticks to the song presentation found on the bands last two albums, while remaining very true to the progression found on this.
Sleepwalker is one of the songs on this album that truly stands out, as it just like the opener manages to combine, a huge feeling of electronica, while at the same time, making themselves sound as almost an arena rock band with chorus’s that seem to want to tear through your speakers, and grab you to sing along with them as they fly through your ears. Go To Hell, For Heavens Sake is another strong track, where BMTH, starts to think outside the box, creating a track that almost sounds as a radio rock song with is somewhat cliché phrases, but undeniably catchy lyricism. Shadow Moses is the song that stands out the most to me on the record, as it starts out strong, with the absolutely intense opening chants of “Can’t you tell from the look in our eyes, We’re going no where” to the yell of vocalist oli sykes, where he belts at the top of his lungs “This is Sempiternal.” The song manages to perfectly balance the brutality they are known for, with the differences they’ve managed to create by doing this album.
And the Snakes Start to Sing, is a beautifully crafted post rock song, that may even send a shiver or two up your spine, from its somewhat Marilyn Manson esque, vibe. Anti-Vist creates a feeling of chaos that anyone who’s listening may even want to tear down a wall or two while listening. It is definitely going to be one of the tracks that’s going to tear down your local music venue. Crooked Young,
is in my opinion the only song on the album that does not belong, it sounds like a rehash of something from their last album. But as the album comes to a close with its epic closer of Hospital for Souls you really start to understand that this album is a true epic, and will be remembered for a long time, and the impressions it makes are Sempiternal

In my opinion one of the best albums to be released in this past year. It was so highly anticipated amongst fans of the band, and even critics. I was so full of joy when the album came out, so I had to write a review of it.