Marquee Moon by Television | Teen Ink

Marquee Moon by Television MAG

February 3, 2012
By king-raven BRONZE, Kelowna, Other
king-raven BRONZE, Kelowna, Other
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion" Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.


Television, I would have to say, is an acquired taste. When I first heard their 1977 album, “Marquee Moon,” I hated everything about it. The singing was terrible, the guitars were annoying … everything about this band turned me off. I could not understand how this was qualified as “punk,” either. Then one day I played it on and I realized it was great!

The guitarists (Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd) play off each other in perfect harmony. They intertwine different guitar parts, which creates a unique and beautiful sound. In the title song, “Marquee Moon,” the guitars are each doing different things, but somehow they pull it together to make a great ­harmony.

The extended version of this album includes “Little Johnny Jewel,” where bassist Fred Smith's amazing talent is displayed! I cannot get over this song; it's fun and silly but also has an air of seriousness in it.

And let's not forget their amazing drummer, Billy Ficca. “Elevation” has an interesting drumbeat to it that really makes the song amazing. What makes this album so great is the fact that the musicians are all playing something different and interesting with their instruments, but it all fits together in one weird, perfect album!

Television is classified as punk, but plays a lot slower and more calculated than most bands of the CBGB (country, bluegrass, and blues) era it sprung out of. This is an all-around great album that I ­recommend to anyone and everyone, especially since it spans so many genres and ­generations.


The author's comments:
This is probably my second favorite band ever, and I am fascinated by their entire scene (also, Richard Lloyd is gorgeous!)
I just wanted to expose more people to them!
Hope you enjoy :)