Marquee Moon by Television | Teen Ink

Marquee Moon by Television MAG

By king-raven BRONZE, Kelowna, Other
king-raven BRONZE, Kelowna, Other

"Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion" Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Television, I would have to say, is an acquired taste. When I first heard their 1977 album, “Marquee Moon,” I hated everything about it. The singing was terrible, the guitars were annoying … everything about this band turned me off. I could not understand how this was qualified as “punk,” either. Then one day I played it on and I realized it was great!

The guitarists (Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd) play off each other in perfect harmony. They intertwine different guitar parts, which creates a unique and beautiful sound. In the title song, “Marquee Moon,” the guitars are each doing different things, but somehow they pull it together to make a great ­harmony.

The extended version of this album includes “Little Johnny Jewel,” where bassist Fred Smith's amazing talent is displayed! I cannot get over this song; it's fun and silly but also has an air of seriousness in it.

And let's not forget their amazing drummer, Billy Ficca. “Elevation” has an interesting drumbeat to it that really makes the song amazing. What makes this album so great is the fact that the musicians are all playing something different and interesting with their instruments, but it all fits together in one weird, perfect album!

Television is classified as punk, but plays a lot slower and more calculated than most bands of the CBGB (country, bluegrass, and blues) era it sprung out of. This is an all-around great album that I ­recommend to anyone and everyone, especially since it spans so many genres and ­generations.

This is probably my second favorite band ever, and I am fascinated by their entire scene (also, Richard Lloyd is gorgeous!)
I just wanted to expose more people to them!
Hope you enjoy :)

on Oct. 20 2013 at 2:51 pm
king-raven BRONZE, Kelowna, Other

That's understandable, but it's just the honest truth.  Thanks for the feedback though :)

on Oct. 19 2013 at 9:26 am
demiurgeslaugh BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
i'd listen to them after reading this, but the first paragraph really turned me off. you kind of said the band is terrible when you first listen to them and that doesn't click with me if you know what I mean

on May. 10 2013 at 11:32 am
person96 BRONZE, 1, Pennsylvania

‘You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don’t like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconsciously there are many people you hate.’ ‘Consciously, sir, consciously,’ Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. ‘I hate them consciously.’ ‘You’re antagonistic to the idea of being robbed, exploited, degraded, humiliated or deceived. Misery depresses you. Ignorance depresses you. Persecution depresses you. Violence depresses you. Slums depress you. Greed depresses you. Crime depresses you. Corruption depresses you. You know, it wouldn’t surprise me if you’re a manic-depressive!’ ‘Yes, sir. Perhaps I am.’ ‘Don’t try to deny it.’ ‘I’m not denying it, sir,’ said Yossarian, pleased with the miraculous rapport that finally existed between them. ‘I agree with all you’ve said.’
‘Then you admit you’re crazy, do you?’ ‘Crazy?’ Yossarian was shocked. ‘What are you talking about? Why am I crazy? You’re the one who’s crazy!’ Major Sanderson turned red with indignation again and crashed both fists down upon his thighs. ‘Calling me crazy,’ he shouted in a sputtering rage, ‘is a typically sadistic and vindictive paranoiac reaction! You really are crazy!’

I love this album so much. It gets so intense when your blasting it in your car and the last couple minutes of the title track comes on

on May. 8 2013 at 7:14 pm
king-raven BRONZE, Kelowna, Other

Highly, highly recommend it!

on May. 3 2013 at 10:25 am
BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

I'll have to check them out!