The Family Jewels by Marina and the Diamonds | Teen Ink

The Family Jewels by Marina and the Diamonds

November 24, 2010
By TaHa404 SILVER, Midlothian, Virginia
TaHa404 SILVER, Midlothian, Virginia
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
~Lemony Snicket (Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid)


Marina and the Diamonds. Her first single, I Am Not a Robot was a free song on iTunes. I listened to it, and heard and felt the emotion behind her lyrics. The lyrics are like poetry just set to a melody, with traces of her own harmony. She writes all of her own music, and I admire her ambition. Her passion is directly exhibited through songs like "Hermit the Frog" and "Mowgli's Road", and my personal favorite, "Obsessions". Although many of her songs seem to be nonsense words strung together, there is a powerful depth behind each lyric. As I write this, I am listening to "Girls". I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't ever heard her music.
For example, the lyrics from "Obsessions". There is not just a nonsensical verse about the supermarket. It is a simile, and there is passion behind it. Her unique voice, with a Welsh accent, makes every song individual. I highly admire Marina, and hope to hear more great things from her.


The author's comments:
I was inspired by her passionate music, and can't wait for her next album!