Taylor Swift – | Teen Ink

Taylor Swift – MAG

By NicoleS PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
NicoleS PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal.
- John Lennon

Taylor Swift has once again reached the hearts and souls of teenagers everywhere with her new compilation of pop melodies and catchy tunes.

The title “Speak Now” is fitting, not just because it is the name of one of the singles, but it also stands for the new, more mature themes that Swift is endorsing in her third studio album.

“Speak Now” differs from her other two (“Taylor Swift,” “Fearless”) in that it explores a more honest and soulful side of the country-pop singer, calling out those who have hurt her in the past (as the title implies), and experimenting with new elements and sounds. Swift also delivers an array of sophisticated lyrics, demonstrating again her impeccable talents in songwriting.

The album includes 14 witty and infectious tunes that complement each other in their uniqueness and mesh together to create a perfect harmony. They range from traditional pop ballads to twists of soulful blues and country influence.

The first single is “Mine” that follows a couple from their first meeting to spending their lives together. It has an infectious melody and a chorus that is sure to make everyone sing along. “Speak Now” is an artistic illustration of a wedding interrupted, a unique facet to this gem of an album.

From the bluesy “Dear John,” to “Mean,” a catchy pop-country crossover with a contagious melody, the album clearly shows Swift maturing. “Sparks Fly,” another catchy melody with an infectious chorus, “Enchanted,” a beautifully mature and elegant piece, and the powerful “Haunted,” all display the transformation she has undergone as a musician and lyricist, finding her sound and truly coming into her own.

The CD itself was carefully put together, with the cover depicting Swift in a purple gown, and the title embossed in elegant cursive. The lyric book is filled with photos of Swift re-creating scenes from the songs. It ends with a photo of her with her band.

“Speak Now” is a powerful melting pot of simple pop ballads, elegant melodies, and passionate tunes that is sure to appeal to all ages and musical preferences. Swift's new exploration of original themes, melodies, and lyrics deserves five stars.

thelibrarian BRONZE, Longville, Louisiana

men are like steel, if they lose thir temper, they lose thier worth

-chuck norris

taylor swift isn't to bad but in the eyes of us serious country music fans, there is much better music. in fact, the country that everyone knows isn't even the best. a list is sweet home alabama, bi green tractor, and taylor swift. by the way, in taylor swift's song mean, i have a strange and inexplicable feeling she is talking to trace adkins(that dude should be dead five times over)

Shriya said...

OMG! That is exactly what I thought about the album as well...that is a fantastic review! Finally someone who sees Speak now like I do...thanks:)

My favourite songs from speak now are:

Back to decemeber, Long live,last kiss, enchanted oh wait all of them!

I especially like last kiss and never grow up though:)

- John Lennon

thanks!!!

i loved them tooo:)

- John Lennon

she uses a lot of new musical themes

her songs are all still about relationships, yes, but "new themes" in that she addresses them differently, uses stronger language, and her lyrics are more powerful this time around

callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

i thought this album was ok. it wasn't nearly as good as her first album, but still pretty good. i like the songs back to december, sparks fly, and haunted.  good review, though. brava!

TheJust ELITE said...
on Mar. 22 2011 at 9:54 am
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

She hasn't explored new themes. The only songs that are different from every other thing she has ever done are "Back to December" (finally a true apology), "Never Grow Up" and "Long Live". Everything she ever sings is about guys. How is that different this time?

kelime3 said...
on Mar. 10 2011 at 9:09 am
I LOVE TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOREVER AND ALWAYS SPARKLES AND # 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lil boo said...
on Mar. 10 2011 at 9:09 am
i love taylor she pretty and shes sch a greT SINGER

- John Lennon

thank you!

i love all of those too! enchanted and long live are my favorites:)

PrettyGood said...

My favorite songs on this album were:

Mean; Innocent; Never Grow Up; Dear John

:) I like your review.