John Mayer Concert | Teen Ink

John Mayer Concert MAG

November 30, 2010
By Devan Schulte BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Devan Schulte BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I consider myself the closest thing to a professional concertgoer. I have attended 25, experiencing bands from Fall Out Boy and We the Kings to Lady Gaga and country superstar Toby Keith. I have danced in lawn chairs on a warm summer night, and screamed from the third row at Madison Square Garden, convinced that Nick Jonas was looking at me. Therefore, I believe that I have acquired a sufficient résumé to judge concerts. Recently, my skills were put to the test at an event that occurred in the middle of a snowstorm in New York City.

Mayer continues to bring young and old, drunk and sober, pop and rock crowds together under one roof. Although the show was not filled with glitz and glamour, explosions or rain, Mayer's musical performance fulfilled my expectations.

His opener, “Heartbreak Warfare,” has climbed the charts and hearts of many, grabbing the attention of diverse audiences everywhere. His guitar solos streamed through each beat as Mayer's body moved to the rhythm, along with the fans. He managed to rock the house with multiple hits, while also slowing the hype acoustically with his classic, “Daughters.”

Although Mayer may sometimes come off as arrogant and oddly strange tweeting his life away, this 33-year-old still has impressive musical talent and range, never failing to grab his audience.

One aspect Mayer continues to lack in his performances is a conversational connection with the audience. His few words made the concert feel like his albums played live. When attending a Mayer concert, expect your $80 ticket to pay for the music and nothing else. If you are looking for a spectacular, surprised-filled show, you should probably join the Circus on Britney Spears' sold-out tour, leaving Mayer for long car rides. However, if a good time with good music suits your bill, Mayer's Battle Studies Tour is the perfect place to spend a Friday night.

Closing with a surprising “Friends, Lovers or Nothing,” Mayer exited the stage without fireworks or confetti, but simply what brought him onto the stage in the first place: his music.