Steal This Album! - S.O.A.D | Teen Ink

Steal This Album! - S.O.A.D

I'm an avid alternative music enjoyer. But I am very picky. Some songs are just not put together correctly or the albums are messy. Yet then one day through a friend and the internet I slowly discovered System Of A Down. 

When I started exploring them and saw the initial picture and title of this specific album, I thought it was going to be bland. Steal This Album! That's what it is called. Who would even want to steal this album? I thought.  The cover is boring as well as the name. Yet—I was so wrong.

I clicked the first song “Chic N Stu” and it was a bounce of energy, funny and catchy. The song felt like metal, but fun. It is fast mostly but they slow down nicely sometimes. The lyrics, “pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives” are so fun and intriguing. 

The next song “Innervision” is smooth, a great transition. This song is vengeful and it feels as if it's building up with anger almost as if something is being planned. Perfection. 

Bubbles is a solid song. The guitar is beautiful and fast. I always admire their guitarist’s guitar abilities. The song is peppy and the speed gets slowed down for the buildup at the end. Could be better with some more energy, thought, and more instrumentals—but I still love it. 

Boom, the next song is a slow gradual start but then the boom hits you with the guitar and sound effects. The speed and frustration in the song is glorious. 

Next was Nuguns and this one was different and mysterious in the beginning, then the Nugun sounds came and heated the song up. This song was good but could have had more energy and better lyrics. 

The next songs A.D.D and Mr. Jack were also pretty ok but did not catch my attention too much. They just could not compare to the energy and perfection of the other songs. Then the peak of the album came. I-E-A-I-A-I-O. Super interesting title. The song is amazing, speedy, awakening; the guitar is insane and the speedy singing is gorgeous. Absolute highlight of the album. 

After that the song 36 and Pictures come. They both have the same energy and are very peppy and funny. I love how they incorporate cool different instruments into these ones. 

The last 4 songs were the downfall of this album—very mid. They were not organized, almost as if they just wanted to add more songs to the album. The guitar did not stand out to me. Also the names of the songs were not as fun at all. As well as the lyrics. started snoring through the end of the album to be honest. 

My overall critique of the album is there could definitely be a more creative cover, more pep and thought to the name of the album, but If you are like me and enjoy metal you should listen to this album because of the amount of creativity, vocals, instrumental perfection, and unique songs. Don't bother with the end of the album though…

I am so cool and so splendid!