A Memento of Your Mori | Teen Ink

A Memento of Your Mori

March 19, 2024
By Anonymous

We always see content creators celebrate success milestones, but how often do we hear about the intricacy of their struggles and sacrifices to earn their fame? One creator that shows that darker side is Hololive’s Mori Calliope in her song “end of a life”. It is a melancholic and rhythmic song that illustrates the struggles of following your aspirations while still being able to reflect and reminisce on the journey. By turning her experiences and feelings into music, she created a piece of art that comforts and resonates with listeners and their struggles.


Before debuting as the “Grim Reaper’s Apprentice”, she was an independent artist—an underground rapper in Japan. By then, she aspired to be a music artist/content creator, but she faced backlash because of her American background. Regardless, she persisted in chasing her dream and met like-minded and supportive artists. Even after joining Hololive, she kept her determination and released original song after original song. The company was able to help with spreading her music, and she gained lots of fans/supporters. Unfortunately, some of Mori’s friends weren’t able to stand alongside her. Some of her friends quit music, while others that persisted were surpassed by her newfound fame. The people who once encouraged her to follow her dream had drifted into the background. In a way, she felt guilt for causing such a big rift between her and those who inspired her, but she still felt gratitude towards them since they were the reason she was able to grow.


Alongside the emotion that Mori pours into her song, the poetic lyricism of “end of a life” and her death motif add depth to the meaning of her message. It reminds us to cherish our time with the people who are important to us since we’ll never know if or when they’ll leave our lives. And if/when they’re gone, the memories and impact they had on us won’t be; they’ll always be a part of our journey in life. Not to mention, death symbolizes loss, but it can also symbolize rebirth. Even though she lost some of the people close to her, she found a new home and created new friendships. It’s truly a somber song that perfectly encapsulates the multitude of emotions that stem from finding your way through life and carving your path.