KALI UCHIS SIN MIEDO ALBUM REVIEW | Teen Ink

KALI UCHIS SIN MIEDO ALBUM REVIEW

By burgermcmuffin SILVER, Sacramento, California
burgermcmuffin SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise."- Frank Ocean

“Music is the way to change the frequencies of everything around you and move your own body, move your whole environment.”- Kali Uchis. Kali uchis is a R&b, Colombian American singer songwriter. She released her first spanish and english album “Sin Miedo (del amor y otros demonios)” (Without fear, (of love and other demons), November 18, 2020. Since then she's blown up. Not only in the music industry, being nominated for her first ever grammy and favorite Latin Album at the American music awards of 2021 . But also on many social media platforms, notably tik tok. Namely “Telepatia”, which became Kali’s number one hit, receiving platinum in the US and putting her up for various awards. 

` In the article “Evening Standard” she says “I just like my titles to be whatever mind state I was in while I was making the music.” Her album has a running theme of freedom, individuality, confrontation, new found fearless mentality and seems to pay homage to her latin roots. If you compare it to her album “isolation”, you can truly see the difference in their energies and sounds. The thing I like the most is how much passion you can see and feel in her music. It's like she puts a piece of her in her songs. The vibe of her songs feels like she's surpassing the person she once was and is the embodiment of not taking bs and being in charge of her life. It's upbeat for the most part and even the songs that aren't, give a sense of confidence and self assurance. I especially hear this in, “de nadie”, “que te pedi”, “no eres tu soy yo”, “aqui yo mando” and “fue mejor”. 

This album was not only very significant for her career but also had a lot of cultural significance to her fans. Throughout her career she's spoken out a lot on wanting to incorporate her latin roots into her music, which she subtly has done with her adding spanglish in some songs, but they were never really spanish- english songs. In an interview with The Evening Standard she said ”I grew up bilingual, speaking spanglish in my house, so it would be inauthentic to sing completely in Spanish or in English..” Kali is a figure a lot of Chicanos can identify and relate with including me. Not only does she bring a new voice to the industry, but she also represents a different type of latino that often gets overlooked. And does all of this, while not feeding into the trophy spicy latina stereotype, the media tries to portray. 

The album is amazing, unique and super diverse. It's full of positive energy and gratitude. On top of that it brings something new to the table and has songs you can relate to any part of your life. I 100% recommend this to anyone but mostly latinas who are over Bad Bunny.          

LISTEN TO THE ALBUM ITS SUPER GOOD!!!