Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent | Teen Ink

Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent

By Ada2006 BRONZE, New York, New York
Ada2006 BRONZE, New York, New York

The raspiness and soulfulness in his voice, so unique that in the moment, it cuts deeper into your soul until you find yourself lost within the lyrics. His songs precisely put into words the feeling you experience while sobbing over your new pillow, or just staring out your window wondering what you have done wrong. Moments like these, when you are at your lowest point, will you find yourself listening to his voice while pondering on your choices. The rising star of 2019, Lewis Capaldi, has just released his new album, Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent, and it doesn’t fail to please. His album puts into words the most painstaking parts of a relationship: the betrayal, the heartbreak, and most importantly, the road to recovery. 

Lewis Capaldi, a Scottish singer/songwriter, has already been awarded as the Scottish music breakthrough artist of the year, and spent 7 weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart. He has been composing music for the last 18 years, and people are finally recognizing him. In an interview from Nolala.com, he says that the “majority is about being broken hearted in general. And about the feeling of being on your own again.” Capaldi acknowledges that he is popular, not completely for his singing ability, but for the story behind his lyrics. When he gets questioned on what makes his album stand out from others, he states, “Young people do have an appetite for lyrics and I think over the next 20, 30 years, that will be at the forefront again.” Along with his intriguing musical elements, he describes his lyrics as one of the most influential elements to his success, and he’s not mistaken.

Throughout his album, Capaldi’s touching voice and lyrics captivate the listener,and display  a common theme of separating, and getting past a relationship. He depicts a sense of terror of betrayal in “Someone you Loved” where he sings, “I’m going under and I fear there’s no one to save me. This all or nothing really got a way of driving me crazy.” Additionally,  he describes in “Grace,” “I’m not ready to be another one of your mistakes” that he doesn’t want to end up regretting his choices. In “Bruises,” he employs his emotions with words such as, “And only if I could hold you, you’d keep my head from going under.” From the experience of listening to his album, one can understand why people are into his raw lyrics.

In addition to his intensely built lyrics, his album follows along a soft, and soothing rhythm with calming instrumentals. For instance, in “Maybe,” “Hollywood,” and “Headspace,” his tracks include guitar as the main instrumental, and gives off more of a country/ slow pop genre that makes you urge to go sit and sing by a campfire. “Hold Me While you Wait” and “Bruises” are more of deeper piano ballads, while “One,” “Lost on You,” and “Forever” are softer piano ballads that cause you to cry from dawn to dusk.  However, the only criteria that is lacking in his album is that there aren’t many varieties in sound; the genre, slow rhythm, and themes in the lyrics follow a similar pattern. To find light in this though, if you like one of his songs, the others will surely satisfy you too. 

Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent is a splendid album with touching lyrics, and at first listen, you will undoubtedly be hooked to its overall sound, voice, instrumentals, and lyrics. Furthermore, this album as a whole is relatable to teenagers: the ones who had encountered heartbreak of betrayal from a partner, a family member, a friend or just school. If  you “need somebody to know, somebody to heal, somebody to have, just to know how it feels,'' listen to Lewis Capaldi’s new album, and follow along his journey of dealing with heartbreak.

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare