The Best—Reminiscent 10th Anniversary: A Review of Yiruma | Teen Ink

The Best—Reminiscent 10th Anniversary: A Review of Yiruma

January 28, 2019
By Miratge GOLD, Moscow, Idaho
Miratge GOLD, Moscow, Idaho
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
-Albert Einstein


Like a boat drifting at sea, Yiruma wraps feelings of loneliness, lostness, and longing all in one album. While piano music has a reputation for putting people to sleep, Yiruma captures your attention by sending you through waves of melancholy and wistfulness. His melodies are clear and wonderfully simple, reminding us of how we wish life could be.

The Best—Reminiscent 10th Anniversary is a culmination of Yiruma’s work over ten years. It includes some of his most beloved tunes such as “A River Flows in You”, which has amassed over 79 million views on YouTube, as well as new pieces like “Fairy Tale” that exemplify the meaning of bittersweet. Structurally, Yiruma’s music is hard to define; labels range from neoclassical to new age to pop. However, one thing for certain is that it speaks to the heart, showcasing how intimately we are connected with music.

Next to “A River Flows in You”, perhaps the most recognizable piece in the album is “Kiss the Rain”. With a theme of gently ascending and descending notes, it reminds you of standing outside during a rainstorm, waiting for a ride to take you home. As you feel the raindrops on your face, you think about who will come for you and how much longer you have to stay in the cold. It is a melody of reflection—about who you have in life and where you are going.

Another standout is “Maybe”, originally published in one of Yiruma’s first studio albums, dating back to 2001. Peppered with grace notes—extra flourishes that are nonessential to a melody’s harmony—this is a piece about questioning. It asks you: what do you like better? Would it be better if I put another note here? It reminds you of trying to please people, trying to be accepted. Would it be better if I gave her flowers or chocolates? Does smiling this way make me more charming? “Maybe” tells the story of how hard we try to find our place in an often overwhelming and perplexing world.

Second to last is the title single, “Reminiscent”, which graciously sums up the album. The piece begins joyously with a delicately played combination of high-pitched and low-pitched notes. Then, it slows down into a duet between the piano and a cello. The melody no longer glows from a rich spectrum of notes. Instead, it becomes dejected from clustering into an unremarkable middle range. However, the somberness does not last. Towards the end, the piece returns to its cheerful melody. Only, this time, grace notes are laced into the higher pitched notes, which are played more emphatically. The tune is lighter and livelier. “Reminiscent” is an ode to what modern day life is often like. The world may throw rocks in your way to crush your high spirits, but you eventually have to find your way back up. When you do, you see the world more vividly and richly.

For an album without any lyrics, The Best—Reminiscent 10th Anniversary connects shockingly close with its listeners. It evokes memories that we can all relate to, and makes us consider what our lives should be like. It is paradoxically heartbreaking and jubilant at the same time. So, when you listen to it, don’t be surprised if you find yourself crying more than once.