Promise | Teen Ink

Promise

January 2, 2019
By Anonymous

Member of Bts, also known as Bulletproof Boys, Park Jimin has just dropped his new mini song named Promise. His own self-composed song was a surprise gift to his fans, known as Army to end 2018 and start 2019. Personally, I have been a big fan if Bts but really felt touched by this song.

The song is about believing in yourself and being your own happiness, while also being the reason of your sadness and pain. The lyrics quote, "I want you to be your light" "I want you to be your night". Bts' songs talk a lot about self-love and appreciation, as teens and people of later generations are put to unjust standards of society, increasing the expectations to come. But what I found inspiring of this song is that it talks not only about being the reason why you smile but also the reason you are sad. You may be thinking, why so? Why would anybody ever want to be their own pain? But the message of this song is powerful as it means it will hurt less when you have that self-reflection and growth from your experiences compared to being hurt by others. The song ends off with making that pinky swear with yourself to never give up even when you feel like there might not be any hope left to keep going.

This song was released while I was going through rough times even though it was the end of 2018. I felt like I had to be happy for the sake of all the holidays that have been occurring but really, I felt bothered by thoughts that I have had personally been having, Therefore, hearing this song made me feel understood as Jimin did write this song to himself, but dedicated it to his fans. It made me feel as though maybe I'm not alone with my wonder and dark times, and was overall comforted by the motivational speech that the lyrics portray. 

I hope that this song can melt your heart as much as it did mine!


The author's comments:

This is a review of Bts' promise. Check it out!