Twilight | Teen Ink

Twilight

April 7, 2009
By Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to say what it is will break you?"
- U2


First off, let me say that I was completely against this movie before I even watched it. The plot was so simplistic that I was able to state every twist and turn it would take without knowing anything more than the main characters. My guesses were confirmed by my younger sister, who has become one of the mindless Twilight minions.
Even though I despise the very concept of this story, I agreed to watch the movie and write a real review. Unlike the extremists who have either decided to become completely immersed in the fantasy or to completely shun the thought of such an overrated phenomenon, I am giving this film a fair review.
The opening sequence uses a very satisfying camera movement to hook the viewer. I found myself drawn into a rush of adrenaline as the shot weaved in and out of the trees. The rest of the camera work throughout the remainder of the movie was nothing to be mocked, but it was not exceptionally pleasing either.
The story is just as simple as I had originally imagined, but for those who are not looking towards a thought-provoking film this is unquestionably entertaining enough to keep the viewers attention. The teenage love story between a pale-faced human and a self-doubting vampire is more than satisfying for any ‘tweenie' movie or ‘chick flick'. The suspense and thrill, which grasps the attention of all the boys who get pushed into watching, is even more prevelant due to the presence of the so-called ‘vampires' and ‘werewolfs'. This new take on the classic horror story villains is an unforgivable mistake, but that is a topic for another time.
The acting is decent, but it is not entirely impressive. While most fans of the movie are obsessed with the appearance of Edward Cullen, acted by Robert Pattinson, it is important to point out that his acting is actually quite good. The likeness traits he portrays in his character are very entertaining and realistic. He delivers his lines with fluidity and emotion.
Kristen Stewart, Bella Swan, is simply not on the same level as her partner. Her voice is unsatisfactory in terms of her monologues. The voice-over in the beginning lacks inflection, and it does not give the desired effect. In the beginning of the film, Stewart seems to rush her lines. It is a pity, because the dialogue is well written. As the film progresses she does grow on the viewer. Her emotion begins to take shape near the end of the film, but unfortunately her voice still leaves much to be desired.
The end of the climax was visually engaging as the director bombards the audience with a beautiful flow of pictures. Overall it was an entertaining movie. There was even an unexpected moral about will power near the end. Even though I was completely against this entire series I find that I am actually looking forward to seeing the next movie even if Dakota Fanning is in the cast, but again, that is a topic for another time.


The author's comments:
I rated this movie *** on itunes... in case you were wondering...