Wonder Woman | Teen Ink

Wonder Woman

By gbuchs9 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
gbuchs9 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

In 1941, Diana Prince, also known as Wonder Woman, first appeared in DC comics. In 1975, she got her own TV show. Now, in 2017, director Patty Jenkins brings this courageous heroine to life in a more modern and expansive set. In the new action/science fiction film, Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) is brought back to her roots, before she was the inspirational hero we know her as today.

Her story begins with her life on Themyscira, an island hidden away from the rest of the world where the Amazon race lives in peace, but is always preparing for war. Diana first experiences what the outside world is like when an American spy, Steve Trevor (Chris Pine), crashes onto the island. Trevor tells her people of the devastating war going on outside of their sheltered home. Diana believes Ares, the God of War, is behind this madness. Together with Trevor, she goes to the fronts of WWII to stop the fighting. Everyone believes Diana is crazy, but she is determined to find Ares and bring peace back to the world…

The story is near perfection with its action, adventure, and tear-jerking scenes captivating the audience. However, some critics are arguing that Wonder Woman was not portrayed in the feminist way. One New York Times reporter wrote about the fact that Diana is shown with no armpit hair, and a writer in Slate complained that she was too attractive. The critics say that these aspects took away from her “superhero” persona. Patty Jenkins responded to these comments by saying “I think it’s sexist to think you can’t have both”, referring to Diana being attractive but also being able to take down the villains.

Although the opinions of the critics do have merit, Wonder Woman has been depicted the same way for decades, almost always in the same outfit. Critics should not be picking on the director, because she gave DC fans exactly what we wanted: our favorite comics brought to life.

“Wonder Woman” came out on DVD and blu-ray September 19th.