Moana | Teen Ink

Moana MAG

By MiatheLunatic GOLD, Toronto, Other
MiatheLunatic GOLD, Toronto, Other

Mad as a hatter.

“Aue aue, we are explorers reading every sign,” sings the ensemble in “Moana.” Thank goodness Disney is finally exploring uncharted waters. Not only is its latest animated movie set in the South Pacific for the first time, but it also marks Disney’s maiden voyage into the realm of anti-princess heroines and girl power.
“Moana” is the story of a 16-year-old girl (voiced by Auli’i Cravalho) who sails the Pacific Ocean alongside the demigod Maui (Dwayne Johnson, a.k.a. The Rock) to save her island from destruction.
In many ways, “Moana” is a classic Disney plot: brave young girl goes on an adventure with goofy, funny friends to learn about self and family, and save the day. But in many ways, this movie is revolutionary for Disney. For the first time in forever (no “Frozen” reference intended), here is a family movie that’s diverse and a female protagonist who is real and relatable. So here’s why, apart from the beautiful songs she sings and her dimwitted-yet-adorable animal sidekicks, Moana is worth your attention.
To begin, Moana is the first Polynesian princess, and her native culture is an essential element in the movie. Cravalho and Johnson – the lead actors – are of Polynesian descent. Moana has long, frizzy hair, shiny light brown skin, and thick, beautiful eyebrows. Even before “Moana”s release, Disney had come a long way from beauty stereotypes of golden hair and “skin white as snow,” but cultural appropriation was still visible in its non-white princess movies. In “Moana,” Disney is finally trying to accurately represent another culture. Before making the movie, the directors took a trip to the Pacific Islands to talk to linguists, archaeologists, choreographers, and village chiefs. As a result, Polynesian mythology, local traditions, and the people’s passion for navigation play a central role in the story.
Has there ever been a Disney princess with believable anatomy? No matter what race, culture, or personality, Disney princesses were always wasp-thin and paper-frail, with tiny feet and no muscle. Though they may have been capable of great things, they always presented unachievable expectations for women in terms of body shape. In “Moana,” however, we see the heroine grow up from a chubby toddler into a strong and healthy young lady who needs no rescuing. This is the image of a heroine we need today – one who can credibly survive the open sea, defeat lava monsters, and achieve amazing feats.
Equally noteworthy is the fact that “Moana” is the first Disney princess who does not have a love interest. Who said the only point of being beautiful and capable is to find yourself a prince to live with happily ever after? This new Disney heroine is enthusiastic, energetic, and eager to know people. Her crew of friends is beyond cool. She receives love and support from her family. Moana has an especially close and precious relationship with her grandmother, Tala, and gains strength from her. It is refreshing and reassuring to see that not all female protagonists need a love interest.
Furthermore, Moana’s values are in line with the things girls need in the real world. She is tired of being the princess of the chief, and sets off on an adventure on her own accord to save her world. She is brave, indomitable, and ambitious. She is unafraid to hold people to account and convince them to believe in her cause.
Moana is more than a girl belting out eternally catchy songs – she is a role model for all audiences in a world that demands that we advocate for ourselves.
In the movie, Maui refers to Moana as a princess and says, “If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you’re a princess.”
However, she is not a princess. Moana is what she says she is: a heroine. From Sleeping Beauty passively waiting for true love’s kiss and Princess Leia in a golden bikini to Katniss Everdeen and now Moana, we’ve come a long way in the journey to a fully authentic heroine. “Moana” transcends the debate surrounding Disney princesses and change the conversation around cultural representation and female leads. And just as she says in her song, I am excited to see “how far we’ll go.”

I saw Moana in December 2016, and it blew me away. I wrote this review to discuss the element of girl empowerment in the movie.